Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Aluminum radiator vs Plastic??? HELP!!!

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Itsme 
#1 ·
Im in need of ordering a new radiator because my plastic one is cracked up top and I wanna know the pros vs cons of having an aluminum radiator??? anyone with experience or if you have one please respond lol. i know its more expensive but i believe its worth the price. btw i have a 2000 xterra.

#2 ·
No experience with the all metal ones but certainly they will be less prone to cracking the tanks then a plastic tank model. If you have to replace the radiator I suggest installing one from a 2002 S/C model as it has a thicker core and will increase the cooling capacity/efficiency of the system.

2000 radiator on the left and the 2002 S/C radiator on the right. It is a direct swap no fabrication needed to get it to fit.

#5 ·
I am a firm believer in all metal radiators.
When I was a hard core off roader, there were several times I need to piece together a damaged radiator.
You can't do much with a plastic thing in a hundred pieces! On the other hand a small torch, solder and flux can get you home, when confronted with such damage.

I know others will tell you they never had a radiator issue and they are fine with plastic radiator tanks, but I am not one of them!
I have owned two first gens and each time, they got new all metals in them! (before the the problems cropped up)
When I go offroad (and I am no longer hard core) I carry an offroad tool kit that includes torch, solder and flux.
There are many things you should pack with you on an offroad outing.
be safe, not stupid when going into the bush. A failed offroader rig , could find themselves in a life or death situation. I have tried to always go with another rig, but even that can not prepare you for survival, if you need it.
There are posts here on offroad kits. A good supply of drinking water is very important!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.