Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Thinking of buying a 2014 Xterra pro4x

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Fzzt 
#1 ·
What do you guys think? Ive owned titans before but this will be a new world for me. I dont feel like dropping that kind of cash on a rubicon and have good experiences with nissan. Anything I should be aware of before I buy? Happy Easter also!

#2 ·
Welcome in. They're great trucks. The biggest 2nd gen issue has already been resolved before 2014- the tranny fluid and coolant mixing. Timing chain guides are going south, which is an expensive repair. They can also have rear end issues... and I've heard of a few rusting in the rain channels in the roof. I think that's it for major issues though, at least what I've heard.

#5 ·
I dont plan on doing super serious off roading in it, maybe a few creeks or out to land between the lakes out here in kentucky. Compared to a rubicon how do these stack up?
The Xterra will ride better on road then a Rubicon, but the road noise is still pretty noticeable for me. The Rubicon would be worse with road noise, plus security was a concern for me as well with the Rubicon.

If your not doing that much wheeling you may want to consider a Pathfinder, not the new body style though. The Xterra/Rubicion/FJ are still pretty primitive with luxury features, although the 2014 may have more options available.

#6 · (Edited)
I dont plan on doing super serious off roading in it, maybe a few creeks or out to land between the lakes out here in kentucky. Compared to a rubicon how do these stack up?
I have had both a Rubicon and now an Xterra. Between the two, if both are left totally stock, the Rubicon will do a little better off road but the X is not really far behind. Where the X really shines and the Rubicon can't even come close is in the versatility of the Xterra. The Xterra is as at home cruising 80 mphs down the Utah freeways as it is pulling my 4K lb TT where ever I want to go and hitting some pretty rough trailers when I get there. If off road is what you want and you don't want to modify either, the Rubicon would probably be a better choice but if you want to do it all "Get the X".

#7 · (Edited)
That's a good summary. I did a ton of research and test driving between the rubi, x, and fj.

I'd say the X is the most versatile and practical of the three. If you want what's probably the best off-the-lot rock crawler, maybe the best in the world, it might be the rubicon. The stock x and fj are both good too, but it's hard to beat the jeep.

But besides that (and of course besides the awesome ragtop), the x just had many more other advantages. Better on-road -and no slouch off-road either, better towing capability, more cargo capacity, much easier to get a load on the roof, better overall reliabilty (although the toyota takes the trophy here), not to mention much more affordable. I personally feel it's safer, especially with small kids in the back, but not everyone cares about that. I know the jeep has a roll bar and there's not a lot of rollover data, but I had come across some reports and pics of some ugly rollover results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.