Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Black Rustoleum Bed-Liner on plastics!

27K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Weeman 
#1 ·
Any more suggestions to add to my 03' Xterra?

Anyways...

If you have had enough with your ugly bumpers then I highly suggest doing this! I did not go the plastic paint route because when I had my 98' Frontier (looks like my X's twin!) I had painted it with plastic spray and it would fade over time and need a lot of maintenance and attention. I decided to go out on a limb and try this...

What you need:
Rustoleum Bed-Liner 1 gallon paint can with brushes and mini paint rollers
6 Cans of the spray paint can version of the Rustoleum Bed-Liner spray
It takes 2 hours for each coat to dry before adding another. Its best to wait more than that but up to you.

What I did:

- All the prep work ofcourse

- 1st coat = hand brush all parts *up and down* (trust me the brush strokes will dry nice)

- 2nd Coat = brush all parts again or roll on paint all parts

(at this point some brush strokes are noticeable but will dry nice)

- 3rd + 4th coats = better prep for spray paint and spray all parts (this gives the last and final coat nice and presentable without any notice of brush strokes)

I painted my emblems too with it

Unlike regular spray paint I have found Rustoleum Bed-Liner to be VERY forgiving. It dries SO nice and even. It has been a couple weeks and it is holding up GREAT!! It isnt as rough as most bedliners with this amount on.

Let me know if anyone else tries this! Its a very risky decision because once you do it you are STUCK!! so be careful ;)

I am trying to keep building on my xterra to make it look even cooler. any more ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Great job I like how the black mixes with the gray color. I got an accident on my 08 Xterra on the rear bumper and the used one I bought it was nasty looking so I painted with Rhino liner and it looks cool, next spring I'm going do all the outside plastic trims, from bumper and grill.

#8 ·
Has it faded on you?

I usualky use monstaliner, but dont need quite enough to warrant an order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.