Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Knock Sensor Bypass

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KBCL 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has done the bypass with catastrophic results? I couldnt stand the power loss in failsafe mode so i bypassed the knock sensor with a resistor earlier today, just wanted to know how concerned i should be about getting knock and not hearing it before it destroys the engine. And i do always run premium (93) in my S/C X

Thanks in advance for any replies!

#4 ·
i don't know the risk of it but I'm an interested modder and want to know how to do it and the benefits and gains of it
I cant remember the which wires off the top of my head, but in the connector next to the valve cover on the passenger side you cut and solder in a 560k ohm resistor in place of the knock sensor. there are good diy's all over the site if you search it.
benefits are that the computer no longer thinks the knock sensor is sensing detonation so it doesnt retard the timing and cut boost if you have a S/C. some people have reported getting better fuel economy too.
downside is that you no longer have a functioning knock sensor, so if there is detonation the computer no longer has the ability to sense and compensate for it which could cause engine damage

and mike, thanks for the reply!

#5 ·
Your engine will be fine as long as the fuel mix stays good not too lean to heat up the combustion chamber too much to cause hot spots...make sure the base timing is set right and you can here it if it rattles under a hard load. I would vote for a relocation vs bypass but that is me I like the protection you get with the knock sensor. Here in the metro area we have changing fuel with the ethonal and summer blends and it can change the mix too lean and you can get knocks....

#6 ·
Your engine will be fine as long as the fuel mix stays good not too lean to heat up the combustion chamber too much to cause hot spots...make sure the base timing is set right and you can here it if it rattles under a hard load. I would vote for a relocation vs bypass but that is me I like the protection you get with the knock sensor. Here in the metro area we have changing fuel with the ethonal and summer blends and it can change the mix too lean and you can get knocks....
thanks for the reply. And I agree that a relocation is better. I tried about a month ago on the side of the super but I was still having issues

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.