Nissan XTerra Forum banner

timing belt ???

83K views 55 replies 31 participants last post by  dshif 
#1 ·
Just bought an 01 xterra with 77,ooo . Manual says change the timing belt at 105k BUT should I be concerned over the age of the belt ?????
Thanks in advance for your help.

#27 ·
ok, my timing belt broke this morning. I coast it into a hardware store by my house (as I was on my way home when it happened). I did try to turn it over in the parking lot. What is the risk that I'll have bent valves? Or is that just something that I won't know until I tear into it?

#31 ·
If you have the inclination to do it you self, about $350 including buying the tools. For an independent mechanic to do it, $450 - $800. For a dealer, much more.

#33 ·
#34 ·
buying tools / renting compressor (as stated in OP); I actually spent $150 on parts and new hoses. It's always cheaper once you have the tools.

#36 ·
Before I dive in and tackle this on my recently acquired 2002 (140k miles) does anyone have an idea on how to see if it has been done already? I'm not sure of the PO did mine.
Only way I know of to check is to look for a silver tag that comes with the Nissan kits that is supposed to be placed on the top of the radiator core support.

#37 ·
Thanks!

Only way I know of to check is to look for a silver tag that comes with the Nissan kits that is supposed to be placed on the top of the radiator core support.
Thank you. I will go look for that. I noticed that my serpentine drive belts and such are pretty new and "Nissan" labeled, which gives me hope that the PO did his service at the dealership, regularly.

#38 ·
Replacing timing belt on 2003 Xterra

I just replaced the timing belt and water pump on my 2003 Xterra. I kept procrastinating well beyond the 105,000 mile factory recommendation and made it to 144,000 miles with still no malfunctions or breaks. To be honest, the existing timing belt didn't look bad at all for that many miles...no cracks, no severe wear etc. but I just knew I kept rolling the dice and decided to change it.

Since I have a spare vehicle I just parked the Xterra in my garage and have taken my time replacing it over 2 weekends. It took me about 14 - 16 hrs worth of work to change everything but I also "gold-plated" the area and thoroughly cleaned and prepared everything after disassembly and plus I painted my timing covers to dress it up a little as well as changing every hose that was accessible etc. Not an absolute requirement but certainly for piece of mind.

I replaced the timing belt, water pump and the timing belt tensioner using Nissan OE parts from the dealership and those three items were $354.00 (It's a rip-off I know but I don't want to disassemble and do this ever again so I'm hoping these parts last me the life of the car.

Attachments

#39 · (Edited)
How can you tell if the valves are bad? My X sounds like crap at low RMP's and I'm wondering if it might be the valves or the timing. And by "sounds like crap" I mean it's has this loud sort of roar (not a good roar) when I'm accelerating below 1000 RPM. Doesn't make the noise in neutral though, it actually sounds pretty clean otherwise. I think I'm going to do the timing belt anyhow but I want to know if I might have a valve problem to address. Cheers

#40 ·
Just had mine done on my 2004 X. Had about 118k on it and wasn't sure when/if previous owner did one. For everything (kit, belts, seals, thermo, water pump, etc) and labor, it was $700 from a good local shop I have work done at. Took just under 4 hours. Hated to spend the money, but peace of mind and not paying 3-4k for a new motor is definitely the way to go!

#41 ·
Timing Belt Tension 2001 Auto?

I have my X torn down again. I replaced the HG last year and used the wrong gasket sealant for everything... I had to take the intake off again and was leaking everywhere. I used the correct water pump gasket maker this time.

My question is I am having trouble getting the timing belt tension correct. I had some bad noise from the timing belt hitting the outside cover so I am replacing belt again. I know to rotate the crank twice with the belt on. I guess this pulls any slack out? But after that what is the correct way to set the pulley? I have been reading around and looked at the manual many... many... times and still managed to get the tension wrong.

Any tips other than what the manual says? Thank you

#44 ·
I see. Ok will check on finding one. Looking under the lower intake manifold I may have bigger issues. It looks like my HG is slowly leaking again. I have 280K miles on the car and it runs strong but I don't know if I want to replace the HG again with nearly 300K miles. I was thinking of some of that Blue Devil HG Sealant in hopes of stopping it until I have my taxes back to trade but don't want a bigger headache than just adding coolant once a week. Thoughts?

I think HG started leaking again because it ran low on fluid over the summer with my wife driving it and heated up again. But not too long... damage must have been done.

#45 ·
You're already half way there for head gasket replacement. If you don't plan on keeping for much more than a few months you will probably be ok if you don't drive much, depending on just how much it's leaking. Would be interesting to know how much longer it would go with a new head gasket...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#47 ·
I used a HG from ebay that came with new bolts. A friend of mine told me to just put the HG on without the cooper spray... I think had I used the spray it would have lasted longer. I have it back together. I may look into a replacement engine and see what is out there since I have time to shop it. I hate getting rid of this truck since I bought it with only 40k mile on it back in 2002.

#48 ·
I always wanted it to be a manual so who knows I may be looking at a conversion. Does anyone know if the newer 6 speed gear box will mound to the 3.3L engine or if the newer engine and tranny will fit in the 2001? I want my xterra working good so I can start working on my 85 Celica Supra. I have a JDM engine I'm going to build up to drop in it.

#49 ·
Does anyone know if the newer 6 speed gear box will mound to the 3.3L engine or if the newer engine and tranny will fit in the 2001?
6 speed... no. Yes, the '05-new engine can be made to work, if you are willing. But you'd have an easier go of it using a qx4/pathy vq35de and the transmission they come with. the chassis harness would be a lot closer than the newest vq40, but either way it is drive by wire.

#50 ·
I'm think I will try to replace the head gasket again. I think I used a felpro gasket last time but im looking for a better gasket to use this time. I had the machine shop clean and check my heads last time so I shouldn't have a crack. The only other issue I will be dealing with I'm thinking of changing the rear oil seal. Im thinking of unbolting the engine and pulling it forwad instead of removing transmission?

The other more expensive option would be a remanufactured engine from Advanced. Anyone ever used them? I put about 80 miles 5 days per week on my X and want it to be reliable in this Atl traffic. With as many mile as I drive I don't want to buy someone else's problem and don't want a car payment.

#51 ·
I put about 80 miles 5 days per week on my X and want it to be reliable in this Atl traffic.
That is an aweful lot of miles and what, $300 in gas a month? How are your wheel bearings? Approaching 300,000 miles, I fear your maintenance justifies getting a used Corolla. I'm just sayin'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.