Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Need to do preventative maintenance

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jshimp350 
#1 ·
I just bought a 02 s/c and would like to do whatever mantenance a x with 130k should have done to it. The supercharger is real loud I don't know if the whining is normal or if it needs looked at. I would like to do all routine maintenance now before anything brakes. I thought this would be a good place to ask these questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
I do have some maintanence records. At 103k it says that the timing belt was changed. Idk. I'm going to look up the repair shop tomorrow and see if they have record of it. Is that the only major component that should be Looked at with 130k miles?
If you have the owners manual, there's a chart in back that lists what gets attention when. If your manual is missing, you can download a pdf version for free.

You didn't mention the tranny or drive type...but, generally, at that mileage, you probably want to replace all the lubes with synthetic versions.

I have yet to see someone who bought a used 4wd Xterra that had the front drive shaft lubricated, ever. So yours is probably rust welded to its current length, and would benefit from some fresh grease getting forced into the slip joint's grease fitting.

The front wheel bearings probably need to be repacked.

And so forth.

:D

#6 ·
Is the grease fitting on the forward section of the front drive shaft? I felt around on mine and did not find a zerk, only a small hex that could have been a zerk before the bulb was busted off. What size fitting would this be? What grease is recommended? Is wheel bearing grease ok?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.