Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Is it worth it?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Tarditi 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm going back and forth with a dealer over an X. It's a 2005 S, with 6 speed manual trans and 4WD. It has 88K miles. He's askin $10998 for it. Thinking that is pretty steep, but he claims that it is a hot selling item, and won't go below $9800. Am I crazy to think that this is way overpriced??

The condition from what the pics show is nice, but it is strictly stock - no mods at all. :\

#2 ·
Too much for my blood. I even checked the "what's my car worth" feature of KBB, and they put the max value of that vehicle at $8752 in cream puff condition (top 3%).

#3 ·
Yep even with the towing and "power package" it is still at BEST $9200. I've seen it and yes it is nice looking but looks don't tell the tale.

He's betting that a serious off-roader will grab it. Ummmm.... no mods? Even if it is full stock, which it is - the price would turn people off.

I think they are having the honeymoon phase of just getting it into their inventory.

I offered $7800. :p Yeah they didn't bite.

#4 ·
Don't get me wrong. In the right market, a second gen can command a high price, and they will be priced higher than a first gen. It's hard to find a decent one for 7 grand, and most of the nice low mileage newer ones will go for around 8-12.

#5 ·
Agreed! Totally!

But even $9800 seems a bit high for it. I see them around town for $7900 and up - same year, model, with 4WD (most even automatics).

Now honestly - which are more sought after for trails; manual or automatics? I'm not familiar with the X's as much as I am with jeeps.

Thanks for the replies by the way.

#6 ·
Auto vs Manual is a matter of personal preference. I prefer manuals, but most guys don't (I don't even own an auto trans vehicle). They can be a problem for those that rock crawl and such. Resale value on a vehicle with a manual is typically going to be lower in certain markets.

#8 ·
Update: Had them at $9500. Sprung for a pre-purchase inspection - money well spent.

* Cruise control is dead ( well light comes on but it never engages)
* Front windshield washer pump is dead
* CD part of the stereo wont take CD's. he checked for a jammed CD and there wasn't anything.
* Found some light body work that had been done - but it was done very well - left front fender, hood, and rear hatch
* Some moisture build up on the transfer case
* Slow wicking on the read differential.
* creaking on front suspension - probably a bushing starting to go.

I checked high and low cost for just the parts, and shot them the average to see about taking that off the price.

At first they offered to fix everything, but then called back and declined to do that. They also would not budge any more on the price.

Even though the issues might seem small - they are pricing it as if there are no issues.

I walked.

That was 5 days ago..... it's still there.

#11 ·
Do you have time on your side or do you need a vehicle now? If you have time, then you are in a good position...

The part of the country you're in and the season have something to do with demand as well. Try to buy a convertible in the south during the spring and you'll pretty much take whatever the dealer has in stock - winter time in the north east and the same vehicle will come with all sorts of perks just to get it off their lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.