Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2nd Gen Xterra Susp lift options

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bassman 
#1 ·
Just want to start with saying... I AM AN IDIOT.... the next paragraph is what NOT to do...do not spacer lift your xterra, it isn't worth it..

Back story... I have 2008 Xterra OFF ROAD... with 3"front spacer lift, SPC upper control arms and adjustable ball joints, and 2.5" rear shackle lift. Started with the 3" spacer/shackle lift, $300 appx with shipping to Nova Scotia Canada. The first issue with this lift, is the upper control arms bottom out on the suspension buckets, soo... new SPC upper adjustable control arms $560appx with shipping and duty to Canada. To properly align the xterra needed new camber bolts (came with spacer lift). Passenger side oem camber bolts were seized into the LCA (common problem in any area where there is snow/salt used on the roads iaw my local nissan dealer) bent my 10ton press trying to remove it. Sent it to a shop where cost me 6 hrs labor to remove the bolts, so $350 plus tax. In total cost me appx $1275 to lift my xterra 3" not including alignment. Soo... it ended up costing the same as a low end proper susp lift. After about 6 months of driving with this lift (Some offroading mainly atv trails and bush roads) both upper ball joints are toast, the rear springs are sagging, and both front bearings are going. And... back to stock we go.

Now, I am looking for suggestions for proper suspension lift kits (no spacers). 4x4parts has a couple of kits, but i'm not sure if i can trust the springs they are using (they don't list the name brand of the springs). I am looking into an OME (old man emu) full medium duty kit. If anyone has reviews on this kit (actual owners/users of the kit pls) it would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions on other premade kits (again no spacer lifts) for 2.5-4" lifts would be awesome. My goal is to be running 35" tires and be able to hit the bogs, and maybe some easier crawler trails.

See less See more
#5 ·
I put the 5" Calmini lift kit on my truck minus the rear leaf springs I waited 16 months for the kit but never got the rear leafs so I had to have them custom made. I'm very impressed with the front suspension kit from Calmini it's worth the money I spent.

I did have get a custom drive shaft made from a 1 ton Dodge cut to suit my Xterra along with two special u joints.

I'd say in total I spent almost $7000 for the Calmini kit the rear leafs and the drive shaft plus install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.