Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Adding schrock bumpers front and back . . . Lift?

13K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Bassman 
#1 ·
I am adding bumpers front and rear.

Will I need a lift?

Would a 2.5" lift be beneficial or necessary?

Which lift kit? Prg?

#2 ·
Shouldn't need a lift to add bumpers, but there will be more weight than stock, so the vehicle at rest will be a little lower than it is now (no different than loaded vs unloaded ride height)
The beefiness of the new bumpers may look more "proportional" with a lift and tires.

That said, amount and manufacturer have been the source of a little debate but it largely comes down to how much you budget for the project.

#3 · (Edited)
The use would be as a daily driver and light offroading.

Towing of an atv and razr 4 900 and gear on a trailer.

There will be a winch on the front.

I would like to put 33" tires on the stock rims. I am assuming this is the largest that would fit on the rims.

I may try the melt mod without the lift.

I like the way the x rides and handles now.

Maintains the stock ride height or a couple of inches more travel/height would be fine.

I was thinking something like this: prg advanced coil over kit if I did something.

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/4wd_advanced_coilover_kit/

#4 · (Edited)
Also Do note that if you ever want to lift it after you purchase your bumpers they will not mount to an X with a Body Lift.

I personally enjoy my Body Lift and PML. It gave me a total of roughly 3.75 Inches with no change in the ride whatsoever really, at least I noticed no change. I did remove the rear sway to and that did not change much at all.

Wow that is an expensive lift. I am sure it is very very good though. I personally would advise lifting the X. The weightof the bumpers will cause the truck o "sag" or lose some height. So to off-set that negative you add a lift.

I agree with not doing a Body lift as you have a 2nd Gen which can fit 33's with only a suspension lift. I did a BL because I have an 02 which requires Massive cutting without a BL.

#5 ·
Don't do a body lift if you just want to run 33s. Just do a suspension lift. Greg from PRG has been sketchy on customer service for the last few months, so I would recommend Nisstec instead. They also have a Black Friday discount code right now, so it will probably be cheaper from them. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Like ryandavenport Said...

"PRG has been sketchy on customer service for the last few months,"

They won't answer thier phones or my E-mails so I have no choice but to go with the Nisstech Ultimate 2.5 w/Bilstien and Deaver. (Actually a few bucks cheaper)

Shrockworks is 3+ months out. Won't even fire up a Welder 'till you send them Half up front. For an additional 10% they'll shorten your wait to a month and a half.

So again, I'll probably go with Nisstech front winch/Bull bumper and rear bumper with W/swing out tire mount. even though I think Shrockworks makes a superior product, I just aint go no patience.

#11 ·
What tires are you guys running Allen? Also, do you have the aftermarket UCAs on her truck?

#13 ·
Okay. Update. Bumpers are ready so it's time to order the lift. I want a 2.5" to 3" lift.

Anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of the 2.5 v 3" lift?

Learned that my pro-4x sits level. Therefore, I want a kit that raises the front and back an equal distance.

The PRG kit seemed to be complete while the nisstech appears to need to be pieced together.

So what appears to be needed is

4WD PRG Radflo 2.0 Coilovers,
PRG Upper Control Arms w/ new bolt,
urethane bumpstops,
PRG Deaver 2-Leaf Spring Packs
PRG Variable Height Shackles for additional lift
Bilstein 5125 Series Rear Shocks or PRG Radflo Rear Shocks
Cam angle spacers for alignment

#16 · (Edited)
On the nisstech lift. I went with this kit as recommended by Chris.

Chris provided the technical exercise and took the time over several phone calls to answer and ask questions, explain technical details to a uneducated consumer and his recommendations where approved by two subject matter experts who have built numerous lifted trucks . . Mud and rock crawling as well as highway oriented 4wds.

complete Radflo 2.0 Extended travel kit with Alcan springs,
Cam Bolts, and Bilstein 2-4"

Went with the heavy duty front springs and custom Sloan rear springs and Chris got it right on the spring rate. It rides trust loaded and unloaded!

http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flyp
age.tpl&product_id=58998&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

The front and rear brake line kit runs an additional $159.00
http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flyp
age.tpl&product_id=59040&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72
I just took a 11hr round trip in the newly lifted truck. It rides almost or as well as the factory suspension. This is the hardest to evaluate since my old suspension's rear shocks had gone and I was hitting the bump stops every time I hit a bump.

I cruised at 75-80mph across Texas. No problems with handling. High side winds did push me around today.

I am happy with the lift and everything that Chris suggested.

Schrockworks. Great people great workmanship! They built the bumpers and one of Jim's employees installed both the lift, the bumpers and the winch for a very reasonable price.

The wait has been worth it!

The schrockworks rear bumper. I was worried about The swing away tire carrier: would it squeak? Would it make it hard to access the rear hatch?

The answer is no. No squeaking . . . And the rear hatch is easily accessible. The carrier latch is ingenious.

#21 ·
Drove through a small ditch at church today to park and also check for some squeaks as the suspension flexed a little.

I also wanted to check the angles of the dangle for entry and exit to obstacles:

Crossing a small ditch at an angle.

Rear Ground Clearance:

Front Clearance:

have to find something steeper next time.

#22 ·
After the lift and bumpers were installed, I took the XTerra to Faith Automotive on Clay Road. The address is 16461 Clay Rd., Houston, TX 77084 Phone number (281) 463-4000.

They owner has a fundamental understanding of the changes in the geometry that a lift imposes on a 4wd's suspension and aligns the vehicles with this in mind. He is also familiar with the various shims that often must me installed on lifted trucks to ensure optimal and correct alignment.

#23 ·
Jim and his crew at Shrockworks: Great product and advice.

Chris at Nisstech: Great product and advice

Jim's employee who installed the bumpers, armor, sliders and the lift kit: Great job and great advice.

Frank at Faith Automotive: Great job with the alignment the day before my trip.

#26 ·
Tried to pull a Chevy half ton out yesterday that was stuck to the frame.

Got stuck

Lesson learned.

1. The Xterra goes places to 6k lb Chevy doesn't.
2. All terrain tires aren't
3. Physics. The xterra ain't pulling a truck that weighs half again as much
4. The warn 9000lb winch will pull the Chevy and xterra out without a problem
5. Need to learn how to enrage the e locker
6. Being able to tie off to an f150 on dry ground allows you to winch anything . . . Almost
7. The schrockworks bumpers and winch mount system work great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.