Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Who makes the best shocks?

19K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  federico0212 
#1 ·
It's time to replace the shocks on my '02 X. What brand should I go with? My suspension is currently all stock/OEM.

#7 ·
Yet another vote for Bilsteins. One of the best things I've done to my truck. Not just superior over bumps etc. but I could immediately feel the difference cornering.

#8 ·
Bilsteins are a proven solution....and make a real difference.

The ones for the 3" lift kits fit a bone stock X with no mods, which is nice, as you get the added wheel travel at stock height, and, if getting a lift later, you won't need new shocks again.

The Bils are monotube shocks, whereas most of the competition in that price range are old fashioned twin tube shocks.

The twin tubes work of course, and if you've never HAD good shocks, you can think they are fine. If you've driven on both though, there's not much comparison.

OFF road, the Bils are even BETTER than on road though, as off road, the suspension is constantly cycling up/down with the terrain.

The way ALL shocks work, is that they turn kinetic energy (Motion) into thermal energy (Heat).

Twin tube shocks physically can not dissipate heat as well as a monotube shock can....and, as they ABSORB heat that could not be shed, they get hotter and hotter.

When the oil in the shock can't absorb enough heat, the shock loses the ability to turn kinetic energy into heat, as, its already absorbed as much heat as it can...so the shock provides progressively less and less damping of motion.

By the time its heat saturated, its like you have no shocks, as the damping is gone.

Rancho is generally a good brand of shock, and a popular twin tube alternative to Bils.

I have had the opportunity to drive certain locations on a variety of shocks for 3" lifts, and, the Calmini's sucked, both having less wheel travel and almost no damping after a stretch of washboard trail.

The Rancho's lasted a bit longer, but didn't make it all the way through either, maybe 1/3 of the way....and then your liver was being pounded to pate, etc.

The Bils could go all the way and back again w/o a hiccup....they simply soaked it all up...and rode well the entire time.

Rancho has a new monotube shock out, but I have not had a chance to compare it. I would venture a guess that its a good shock though, and look forward to a chance to check it out.

Until then, as the Bils are a proven entity, and are still less expensive, I would recommend Bils.

#11 ·
When i replaced my shocks to bilsteins, it made the car more comfortable yes, But i did not feel any difference in cornering or overall how it handles bumps like everyone said.
Is there something I'm missing? Sway bar rubber? I have no clue.
Help?
So, what was different that made them more comfortable?

Of course, you'd need to know what the differences might have felt like.

If your front sway bar links are toast, or the bushings shot, etc, sure, the slop would hide improvements in other areas, but, a shock is designed to soak up/absorb/damp ride motions...and improvements that CAN be related to doing a good job of damping, etc, CAN be attributed to/expected from a shock.

#12 ·
Anybody have any luck with Nismo shocks....4x4 parts has them for $250.00 shipped......been looking at it .....I dont have any lift and not planning to have one, just keeping it stock....thanks
Just ordered them for installation tonight. Note that they come without much of the hardware (not sure if others do). Came only with front shock top nut/washer/rubber. No nuts for bottom of front, and no hardware at all with the rears. Searching the site now hoping to find someone who might have posted sizes as I like to replace suspension nuts/bolts when I do this kind of stuff.

I'll post a ride report when I get them on.

#13 ·
Just ordered them for installation tonight. Note that they come without much of the hardware (not sure if others do). Came only with front shock top nut/washer/rubber. No nuts for bottom of front, and no hardware at all with the rears. Searching the site now hoping to find someone who might have posted sizes as I like to replace suspension nuts/bolts when I do this kind of stuff.

I'll post a ride report when I get them on.
I mean I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but I reused the same nuts and bolts for the rear shocks and bottom of the fronts. Nothing wrong with them.
It only includes the top nut but thats because its an interesting arrangement.

#14 ·
I mean I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but I reused the same nuts and bolts for the rear shocks and bottom of the fronts. Nothing wrong with them.
It only includes the top nut but thats because its an interesting arrangement.
Just my preference to change all nuts/washers etc when doing suspension work. The old ones were actually fine which was a surprise considering how rusty the undercarriage is on this '02. Old shocks were wildly rusty original's. I expected them to be floppy and dead, but all 4 still had firm rebound in them.

Ride Report NISMO's: Seem to ride just fine. Note that the NISMO Bilsteins are for stock ride height, limiting future lift options. Price was right at $250.00 for a full set.

Whole job took 1.5 hours. I do have a lift and air tools however.

#15 ·
Just my preference to change all nuts/washers etc when doing suspension work. The old ones were actually fine which was a surprise considering how rusty the undercarriage is on this '02. Old shocks were wildly rusty original's. I expected them to be floppy and dead, but all 4 still had firm rebound in them.

Ride Report NISMO's: Seem to ride just fine. Note that the NISMO Bilsteins are for stock ride height, limiting future lift options. Price was right at $250.00 for a full set.

Whole job took 1.5 hours. I do have a lift and air tools however.
Did you notice a difference?

#17 ·
Honestly not really, but the truck is new to us so not a lot of miles for comparison..
Well I don't have the Nismo ones. I have the normal bilstein HD, but I felt an enormous difference. The car would roll less, it would feel more compliment in the bumps, and overall just night and day better

#19 ·
Brand new member and new to the Xterra's. Quick question... Why ditch the sway bar? Front and rear?
Ditch the rear, keep the front.

The rear doesn't even fight sway, but it makes the ride rougher, breaks the passenger side rear shock, hurts articulation, and is completely useless.

The front at least reduces sway.

:D

#20 ·
Brand new member and new to the Xterra's. Quick question... Why ditch the sway bar? Front and rear?
Like TJ said.
Ditch the rear.
It doesn't do anything, when you remove it, you won't feel a different In how much roll you have.
Instead the ride will be softer.
And that sway bar can damage one of the shocks.
Not to mention it let's the car flex nicely.
Look at my build thread, it shows what it does.

This is for first gens only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.