Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Disconnect drive shaft for towing

28K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  iampbody53 
#1 ·
I need to tow my '03 Xterra about 250 miles and was thinking about using a U-Haul tow dolly. It says that I need to disconnect the drive shaft from the rear axle or risk serious damage to the transmission? Do I really need to do this? How do I go about doing so. I honestly don't know that much about cars and the repair manual on this site only discussing the drive shaft connected to the front axle. Any help would much appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
No, you must disconnect the rear drive shaft if you're using a dolly. It's 4 nuts/bolts and slip yoke (slips out). You need a plug for your tc.
Towing it in neutral is not good. The transfer case will not be lubricated properly and you risk burning the rear mainshaft bearing.
For a short distance you might be ok but for 4 bolts and a plug why risk it?

#5 ·
DISCONNECT THE DRIVESHAFT. I have a $1000+ bill for a new tranmission to prove it. That was less than 200 miles :(. Tom will let you know where to get plug or make something up from home depot. Don't make the same mistake I did.....stay away from big fake titties also!

#11 ·
can't you back it onto the dolly and put the tranny in neutral?
Sorry but this is also a no. A tow dolly is designed to carry the majority of the weight of the vehicle being towed. The front of your Xterra needs to be on the dolly. If you back your truck onto the dolly it may start to whip back and forth as you tow it…not good.
Tow dollies cannot tow mid- or rear-engine-mounted vehicles.
Come on guys, its 4 bolts and a $6 plug…

Here ya go; http://www.harborfreight.com/transmission-stop-off-tool-98060.html

I keep one in my tool box ever since Tim F'd his truck up towing on a dolly...

#15 ·
can't you back it onto the dolly and put the tranny in neutral?
not sure of the fine in your neck of the woods. but in NYC, if you get pulled over for that it's a $3500 fine :(. get AAA premium (believe $100 a year), free 100 mile tows and one 200 mile tow free and they use a flatbed. if you wheel, it pays for itself. my neighbor just had to get towed 3 hrs.....$600.

#16 ·
NEW YORK CITY?? Haha

Sent from The Dark Side

#18 ·
That commercial for Pace picante sauce- where the other brand is made in NYC, and they say that. It struck me funny

Sent from The Dark Side

#19 · (Edited)
But Pace picante sauce tastes horrible...

Just the 4 nuts/bolts towards the back (right), mark it before you undo it so that you put it back the same way and the front slips out.
No need to touch the u-joints unless you want to change them while the shaft is out.

#20 ·
Indeed

Sent from The Dark Side

#21 ·
BUMP - new (but related) question!

I plan to put my 2WD XTerra on a tow dolly from VA to OH in a few weeks. I plan to drop the drive shaft. Since I don't have a transfer case, can I take it all the way out without plugging anything up front? If not I guess I could just secure it tightly up out of the way but I would feel better with it completely unbolted.

Yes I could probably answer this by just looking underneath, but what fun is that?

T.I.A.

#22 · (Edited)
Well I did finally look under there. Forgot about the carrier bearing thing in the middle. May just have to strap it up out of the way after disconnecting from the rear.

I also see the FSM states to replace the bolts after every disassembly..odd. May be more worth it to just get an actual trailer for this lol

#24 ·
with a 2wd you shouldn't have to worry about disconnecting the driveshaft. its mostly for 4x4 with a transfercase that need to disconnect the driveshaft on tows.
Not a good idea, from the 03 owners manual

TOWING RECOMMENDED BY NISSAN
Two-wheel drive models

NISSAN recommends that your vehicle be towed with the driving (rear) wheels off the ground or place the vehicle on a flat bed truck as illustrated.

CAUTION

Never tow automatic transmission models with the rear wheels on the
ground or four wheels on the ground (forward or backward), as this may
cause serious and expensive damage to the transmission. If it is necessary to
tow the vehicle with the front wheels raised always use towing dollies under
the rear wheels.

When towing automatic or manual transmission models with the front
wheels on the ground or on towing dollies:

Turn the ignition key to the OFF posi-tion, and secure the steering wheel in a
straight-ahead position with a rope or similar device. Never secure the steer-
ing wheel by turning the ignition key to the LOCK position. This may damage
the steering lock mechanism.

#26 · (Edited)
No you dont want the trans spinning with the truck off for 600 miles lol.

I think I will just try and take off the 4 rear bolts later this week just as a test to see if itll work the 30th when I dolly it.

EDIT: For future information, it worked great. Took off the 4 rear bolts and ratchet strapped it to the muffler. Towed the 600 miles without problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.