Nissan XTerra Forum banner

ironman4x4 lift kit for xterra

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  skim 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This looks really similar to the Australian Old Man Emu suspension system that I just put on my X. From what I've read, the nitro shocks are intended for bounding over rough and rocky terrain, but I don't see why they wouldn't do great over sand as well.

Typically for fine sand desert running your main concern is going to be weight. You're going to want tires with a wide tread and as light weight wheels as you can find. The more the weight at the end of the suspension displaces the sand after the springs rebound the more likely the rig is to get stuck. Lightening up the body components of your X wouldn't hurt either, like getting rid of useless stock components.

I would imagine the best setup for high speed desert running would be a full spring pack and external reservoir shocks like King or Fox. Wheel travel isn't as big of an issue as much as much as grip and stability is.

I would probably try the Ironman kit out and at least have that as an entry level starting point then make adjustments from there.

Have fun with it! :biggrin:

#3 ·
actually for desert running. wheel travel is a big thing. unless you plan on driving like a gma on the sand. but if are talking about actual desert running it is. then i would look into camburg kits or like he said fox reservoir kits for long travel. if that's your way of going though be prepared to spend some money. camburg makes a awesome beginner long travel kit.

#4 ·
Yeah, like our style of desert running here in the western US still includes getting over rocks and a whole lot of bumps. My understanding of desert running in Middle Eastern countries like UAE though is that there is very little debris and obstacles to roll over and is mostly just miles of wind swept sand dunes. So the suspension shouldn't be doing nearly the amount of bouncing it does here, just some moderate flexing when going up and down hills.

#7 ·
^^Try the melt mod, where you melt the inner wheel well plastic at the back of the wheel well with a heat gun or hair dryer and push it back. That should fix your rubbing issue. I have had that done to mine for some time now.

#8 ·
I installed the Ironman kit, about one and half years ago. Fitted the Cooper 285/75/17 All Terrains recently.

Have not done the melt mod, so there is the slightest rubbing on the wheel well. Wheel travel is a bit of an issue as it has scraped at the top of the front wheels while dune driving. The suspension is very stiff, but it never bottoms out.

I do mostly desert driving, but there is also some wadi (riverbed/creek) driving, especially during camping season. While on the soft sand and with tires well deflated, it is OK, but it's way too hard on the gravel, etc.

I probably need to look into putting high performance shocks in, but does that really make such a difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.