Nissan XTerra Forum banner

New Pads Too Thick

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  TNDragon 
#1 ·
First time poster here everyone. My son and I changed the pads on his 2001 Xterra XE this evening and it seems that the pads were too thick. We got Wearever Platinum pads (Part No. PDX830H) from Advance Auto and used the existing rotors as they were in good shape; no grooves, no scoring, and still nice thickness. I've never had a problem with the Wearever pads on any other vehicle.

Anyway, once we put the pads in, it was tough to get the caliper back on. Just to be clear, the pistons were fully compressed and not in contact with the pad on the rear of the rotor. The drivers side was tough and the passenger side tougher. My son took it for a test drive down the road and upon returning, there was a significant amount of smoke. I have changed many brake pads in my life, although never on this Xterra. My son said it felt like it was pulling to the right; the side that was really smoking, so obviously it's too tight. Has anyone had this problem with new pads? I did a search, but couldn't seem to find anything. I'd hate to have to pull it all apart again and even if we do, we'll still need to find pads that are thinner, so if anyone can recommend pads that they know work, please do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.