Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Bogs really bad, wont get over 30 mph

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  banx 
#1 ·
Okay, to make a long story short. Had an two hour trip and on the way back the x just died. Having my youngins with me an hour of side road troubleshooting with a pocket knife and penny, found that the screw had come loose that holds the rotor bug on. Luckily the screw was in good shape and accecable. so here i am thinking im out of the fire. It was now running but i still had 30 min left of the trip and by the time i was 5 miles from the house i used about a 1/4tank of gas and lugged it back at 20 mph. It sounded like it was sucking very hard through the intake. When i got home i pulled the cap and rotor and got a new one from o reillys along with spark plugs. ( luckily it was under warrenty) slapped it in, timed it at 10btdc. And still problem exists. It just bogs so bad pasts 2000rpm. Its throwing random misfire, and knock code. Code will not kick in untill i rev past 2000 rpm or so. Its an 02 3.3l 2wd with 127xxx miles. I replaced the fuel filter before the trip. Air filter isnt bad. Its running rich as well and has a slight drip of water from the exhaust but doesnt look to be headgasket related. Ive sprayed ether on the lines to make sure its nit sucking air anywhere, sprayed the MAF with MAF cleaner. Did a couple of the relearn procedures i have seen online. Im at a loss. There is a rattling noise in the top of the engine i think its an injector but it was doing that prior to the incident. The x hasnt been running to great for awhile anyways but it would get me down the road descent just got about 14mpg reguardless of driving style when i replaced the plugs they all looked good. They inly had about 1000 miles on them but i didnt know if from all the cranking trying to fix her on the side of road if i had fouled them. I have some snapshots of all the values while running from my obdII reader ill try an post up. Im at a loss i dont want to just throw parts at it. Thanks in advance. Oh and if it helps i had just ran a can of seafoam in it. And another thing. I have my number 2 injector firing with my num 1. Awhile back i had made a post about that but the num 2 cylinder plug looked good.

See less See more
#5 ·
First thing i would check is your distributor bearing under the rotor, if you see metal shavings under there its probably toast, most of the time you can salvage the distributor and just replace the bearing.

#8 ·
my truck did the exact same thing. changed distributor. worked like a charm.

what do you mean blown out? like its ruined?

after I fixed my distributor, I thought I might have to change the cats, it was blowing so much black shit out the back. story similar to yours... coming back from a trip. luckily didnt have my daughter. it was chugging fuel like you described.

but I haven't had issues since (just random p0505). and the mpg is good.

i'm asking because I have to do my exhaust manifold shortly (I think, gonna sea foam it this weekend) and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to drop quite a few more bucks and replace the cats... have 356k kms on mine

#9 ·
my truck did the exact same thing. changed distributor. worked like a charm.

what do you mean blown out? like its ruined?

after I fixed my distributor, I thought I might have to change the cats, it was blowing so much black shit out the back. story similar to yours... coming back from a trip. luckily didnt have my daughter. it was chugging fuel like you described.

but I haven't had issues since (just random p0505). and the mpg is good.

i'm asking because I have to do my exhaust manifold shortly (I think, gonna sea foam it this weekend) and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to drop quite a few more bucks and replace the cats... have 356k kms on mine

When I dropped the second cats you could see that the first cats had almost blown completely out I got the rest out with a pry bar and the seconds cats clogged got hot and was melted inside to the mesh screen. Much harder to get out the melted material. I haven't had a chance to weld the pipe back up (marked and cut the pipe right at the cat so I remove the material inside). Gonna try and get it done tomorrow. Hopefully ol girl runs much better. Vacuum test was a dead giveaway tho. Purchased the boche gauge at oReilly's and at idle it was 18 hg and to the floor it was 0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.