Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Tail light, dash light out on 2002 Xterra

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  netdobeiras 
#1 ·
This is the same thread that I have seen many times. Tail light fuse keeps burning out when turning on the lights. At first it would last a couple of days, but now it won't stay on at all. I was looking around the trailer harness and it was ok. I went to the passenger side and wiggled the running light and it popped and continued popping. I took that off and disconnected it at the harness connector and checked the wires in the area, but not successful. Then being crafty, I put in a couple of different fuses. They popped until 25. At 30 amps it didn't pop, but smoke started inside the cab of the rig. I shut off the lights and the smoke stopped. Is the area where the smoke was coming from the likely area of where the short is, or did I just let the wire get really heated and burn off some plastic? What is the best way to pay someone to find this?

#2 ·
Mine are out also, just this February. 2002 xterra. I fixed the broken wire on the fog light (drivers side) and replaced the fuses. Turned on the lights switch and heard a pop and everything was right back off. Cant figure out where the problem is. Hubby thinks its a relay under the dash.

#3 ·
I know what it is guys. Round headlight Xterras produced between 2002 and 2004 have a problem where the sockets of the front daytime running lights touch the glass of the headlights assembly ever so slightly that it will pop the fuse. Trust me you won't see this short but its in there. look at the head light assembly and fix the day time running socket which is the one on the side of the low beam headlight. I know i am late but better late than never.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.