Nissan XTerra Forum banner

maf sensor

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hankwood 
#1 ·
2000 xterra 3.3 runs and idles rough, the distributor has been changed and it ran fine for six months. I have kept up with all maintenance so far and about a month ago the X started to sputter and idle rough once the motor was warmed up. I have replaced the fuel sending unit and the fuel filter. After reading everything I can find that could be the problem I cleaned the Maf sensor and It did not help. I just disconnected the Maf and the rough idle went away but at 2500 rmps the engine would sputter so I think I found the problem. The X has 125,000 miles. I replaced the dist. due to the bearing being shot. What do you think should I just replace it and where is the best place to get one. Thanks:aufgeregt-big:

#2 ·
The intake runner from the air box to the intake plenum can get a crack on the underside...which leaks air under some conditions and not others due to flex and vibration....check it for leaks/see if its pressure tight.

:D

#4 ·
Have you checked all the things that attach to the intake hose and if they are also tight? Any leaking in the air intake system after the maf, will cause rough idle.

You may also have sticky/dirty/messed up injector.
Any codes?

#5 ·
Should have explained a little better, the rough idle would eventually drop and kill the engine. While driving and the engine would get to operating temp the engine would stall and die at any rpm. I took the MAF back out and cleaned it and noticed the tiny wire between the two posts is loose? The rough idle is still gone with the maf disconnected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.