Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Any tips on Head gasket? VC gaskets? and intake manifold gasket?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  outwiththeold 
#1 ·
I have an '01 with a exterior coolant leak, and after the last oil change and seafoam, what looked like some evaporated coolant inside the oil cap, and my valve cover gaskets are leaking.

The oil and coolant both look good so if my head gasket is leaking, it isn't too bad yet...

I have to do the valve covers so obviously will be doing the intake manifold gasket as well, so I've got those gaskets to pick up and the little rubber grommet thingys.

Are there any other parts I should be replacing at the same time?

As far as the head gasket goes, I'm still monitoring it since it showed up right after I did the seafoam thing, but I need to make a decision soon since I'll be in there already for the above mentioned stuff.

If I do tackle the head gasket, are there any tips and will I need more parts than just the things I've listed above?

I won't be doing the timing belt unless it's a mess when I get in there since it was already done about 30k kilometres ago. I guess I should also do new exhaust manifolds or headers though :icon_question:

Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

:chainsaw:

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you're pulling the intake to do the driver side cover, there will never be a better time to do the spark plugs.

#4 ·
You need upper and lower intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets. There is a bolt that goes through the timing belt back plate into the lower intake manifold. Don't forget to remove that bolt or else you'll never get the lower intake off.

#8 ·
probably wanna replace the thermostat, water pump, and flush your cooling system real good.

#9 ·
If it’s cold out, and you only do short trips, there will be a little milky oil on the bottom of the oil cap. If it is the head gasket,they will $hit the bed back on number 5 cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.