Nissan XTerra Forum banner

NEW 2003 Xterra owner

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mykdee 
#1 ·
I just bought my first Xterra, it is a 2003 4x4 3.3 auto with 77k!
I Picked it up Saturday from one of the dealerships I take care of. By Sunday the check engine light came on and it started to idled like crap and would die at stop lights sometimes! I dropped it off Monday it had 9 codes!! They replaced the intake manifold gaskets, knock sensor. TPS, and tuneup. I pick it up tomorrow I sure hope that it was just a fluke. I have always been a Ford guy and took a chance with the Xterra, I hope I dont regret it!!!! I really like it other then the problems so far.

#5 ·
I had the Xterra a whole 20 minutes yesterday, before the dealership had to send a mechanic to my location to tow it back to the shop! It was pissing out coolant everywhere!! So I have now owned my first Xterra for 7 days and it has been broke down at the shop for 5 of those days!!! Great start.

#7 ·
The coolant issue sounds like they didn't attach the hoses well after the other work, etc.

If there's a warranty, take advantage of it, and, if they can't sort it out, it might be time to let them take it back...but, it sounds, so far, like the DEALERSHIP issues with maintenance/repairs....which can be a double edged sword if you work with them.

#8 ·
I hope they get it all sorted out! I already put brand new Goodyear Wrangler Authority AT's on it and cranked the torsion bars up in the front, talked to the owner of Xoskel and had a light bar built for it, found a used Nismo exhaust. Hate to see all that money wasted!
I pick it up today so once again fingers crossed!

#9 ·
OK so I just picked up the Xterra, no more coolant leaks! BUT... Now when you start it, it idles at about 1800 RPM for about 2-3 minutes and it is 90 degrees out! So I know its not because of the engine being cold! And when it finally does drop down the rpm's it idles from 500 to 1400 then down to 1000 and then back to 500 then to 1400ish and so on, never one speed!!
I'M DONE!!!!

#10 ·
So you're going to cut your losses and dump it? That's too bad, an 03 with 77k is worth chasing the bugs out. This is minor stuff.

The high cold idle is normal, there's a wax pellet in the throttle body that expands as it heats and drops the idle. The erratic idle, if it didn't do it before, is something that can be fixed. Take it back to the dealership, they caused it.

I feel your frustration. A year ago we bought a new RAV4 for my wife's DD, 15 miles off the lot the fancy infotainment center took a dump. We had our new car 3 days in the first 2 weeks.

Good luck whatever you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.