Nissan XTerra Forum banner

60k miles - what service is REALLY needed?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  storman 
#1 · (Edited)
Just hit 60k on my 2011 Xterra 4.0l 4x4 auto. Like most of us on the forums, I'm usually pretty religious about maintenance, but after paying $500 for the 30k mile service at the dealer, and realizing how much of that service was "inspecting" items, not so much replacing items/fluids, I don't want to pay Nissan to do it again. I also dont plan on driving this car to 200k, so I'm not as concerned with super-long term longevity. Basically I want to take care of this thing but I don't want to go overboard.

I've read and searched, and although most of the maintenance schedules say the same big stuff at 60k, each one is a bit different and I don't know what is REALLY necessary at this mileage, vs. what I can put off.

I was thinking that I'm just going to get the auto trans fluid flushed at a local shop. Then replace air filters myself, maybe the cabin air filter too.

I wasn't going to bother with the coolant flush, because I don't think coolant replacement is necessary every 30k. Anyone disagree? I also wasn't going to do the dif's or transfer case now either. Maybe at 100k.

Anything else I really need to do now? Are there any grease zerks I need to hit underneath? I really dont mean to be lazy or overly cheap, but i feel like I was super conscious of PM on all my past vehicles, but felt like all of the money I spent on synthetic oils, services, and other OCD preventative maintenance things didnt really pay off when I wind up getting rid of the car at 120k anyway. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Smarshall,

I understand about not wanting to shell out all the $$ for inspection items that just get pen whipped. I'm also a nut about keeping up proper maint. on my vehicles. I look at it this way, I spend the money it takes to do the maint. that will keep me from getting stuck on the side of the road. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time, at least as long as I can afford to put gas in it....lol.

At 60k....I'd change all the fluids. Coolant, diffs, xfer case, oil...etc. Would also want a good check of the major rad hoses as well. There are grease fittings, but I'm not sure yet how many/where. I've got to get under mine and find them. The cabin filter is an easy do it yourself deal.

Might be a good time for an alignment also. A good once over on your tires for tread/cracks, and brakes is a good idea. With winter coming, I find it best to take care of all the maint. New wipers (esp in snow states) are a good idea. I can now....because I'm not going to be as inclined to do it in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.