Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Heater core broke, best path for fixing?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
Had intermittent issues with temp running high and then coming back down randomly. Couldn't pinpoint anything and hasn't happened for a while so I let it be. The other morning my heater would only work while the engine was under load. At idle, it would blow closer to "room temp" so to speak. Very annoying and with winter coming up I knew I would have to check in to it.

Well I was getting ready to do my BL few days ago and prepping everything before hand. I get to check the lines off the firewall that everyone is always mentioning and it appears it had already been messed with. Lines were replaced at some point, but one was leaking. I go to unscrew it and the entire nipple breaks off in my hand leaving about 1-2mm hanging out from the firewall.

I have been searching and apparently there is a nipple/line replacement kit that can be purchased and installed to fix this. I am of the mindset though, If I am going to be ripping out the dash and hours of labor in, I think I want to just take the time and replace it with the new core from Nissan ( $278, ouch). So I dont have to worry about it croaking anytime soon.

Your experience here? Thoughts on which way to go or what you did?

#2 ·
I took the dash out and replaced the core.

Its a PITA, but, if the core is going bad anyway...this is the time to do it.

#4 ·
You can't replace the inlet/outlet only, it's one piece. The nipple fix is only if there's enough sticking out of the firewall to jam the brass nipple in and attach the hose to the other end. It's not a replacement kit, it's a piece of hardware meant for something else.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Thanks! Thats the part I was looking at as well. Fun mods have to wait till I get this done.
Well, if planning any mods that require you to have access behind the dash, say different colored bezel/gauge lights, aux fuse blocks, running of wires through the firewall, CB antenna runs, etc...this is a god time to either do them, or at least recon future pathways, etc.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.