Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Auto lock out hubs... Junk..

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  4x4guyflorida 
#1 ·
I want to slap whoever designed the auto lock out hubs on my xterra. It's an 01, and, the geniuses used plastic parts for a fairly abused area in the vehicle. They have since "fixed" the issue by using all metal parts in the replacement assembly.. However, come to find out, Nissan has decided to discontinue production,and sales of the hub assembly.. I think a Darwin award is in the cards for the guys at Nissan. I've had fun with the truck, it's done more than I thought it could, but, what the hell man? I need those parts, and I can't find them anywhere, except used, and call me crazy, but, I want the auto lockers, not the manual.. Hence my rant here today.. Any ideas, help, bullets for the asshole that designed that hub, would be great.. Thanks

#2 ·
Used auto's or new manuals.
Those are your options.

#3 ·
Thanks frogstar, i was afraid of that.It is what it is. I just dont like the idea of using the same plastic junk, as it will prob just crap out on me again. Especially used plastic junk. I'd like to give a shout out to the engineers at nissan ! Way to go! Anywsy, i still love the X... E

#4 ·
The auto hubs are actually pretty tough.
Where in FL you at?

#5 ·
Just with my experience...I blew an auto locking hub, replaced them with a used set I bought off here, and blew it again a year or so later.

Finally just went with the manual hubs (Mile Markers), and am much happier this way...

but of course, I live in NC where I won't have to be out in the snow trying to lock in my front wheels to use 4WD....and you being in FL, won't have to deal with that either.

#6 ·
A set of manual OEM hubs spec'd for the Hard Body fit perfectly and are stronger, and, don't stick out as far as the Warns and MM, etc.

#7 ·
Can we get those Hardbody hubs new?

#8 · (Edited)
We would be lucky to find a used set...Nissan part # is (was) 40250-S3900. Price new, if in stock has gone a bit crazy...

I've gone through a few sets of those as well. Can't find them any more and am back to autos...

#9 ·
What I figured.
I'll stick with the stockers for now.

#11 ·
I just had one apart and I didn't see any plastic parts either.

#12 ·
The fixed cam assembly is plastic with a spring wrapped around it. You might not see it when you disassemble if you don't separate a little metal ring that surrounds it.

#13 ·
The fixed cam assembly is plastic with a spring wrapped around it. You might not see it when you disassemble if you don't separate a little metal ring that surrounds it.
That is what always blew on my hubs. Fixed cam assembly plastic pieces.

I also had issues with them not disengaging properly even when backing up. That is why I went the manual hub route. No amount of cleaning or re-greasing would keep them from sticking. Now, at least I KNOW my hubs are not engaged.

#14 ·
The one thing I can't get over is plastic parts in that 4x4 application. Excuse me, plastic "part" inside the free spin hub assembly, there is what Nissan calls the thrust washer.. Enclosed in the thrust washer is a plastic ring with a spring around it. The parts and service managers at Nissan believe this to be the issue I've been fighting... 4WD works fine, the popping and clicking noises that "we think" are coming from the hub, are the issue. What's with the noise? It certainly didn't come that way.. The hub has been rebuilt, and still, I hear the noises.. Ahhhhhhh!!! It's metal on metal, and it's getting louder. It happens when in forward or reverse, I accelerate,then stop, and BAM! It is not right... By the time I figure this out, I'll have a brand new truck under there.. Ready to put this to bed.. Thanks everybody:)

#18 ·
Makes sense.

Thanks for all the insight you guys, ive been stuck on this plastic part in the hub for a minute now, and ultimately I will end up with manual hubs. Unfortunately, I still have a loud popping noise occur when I reverse then stop. Also, in forward, then stop. I've replaced quite a few bushings, tie rods, etc, and now I'm leaning towards the upper control arm bushings. I've got new brakes, calipers, etc, and it's all tight, so, I'm back to wondering where that noise is coming from. It sounds like shit.... All I need is to get stuck on the side of the road with kids in the truck, when it's 35 below outside... Any suggestions would be fantastic.. :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.