Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Which years and variations of 2 Generation xTerras are the most desirable?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Akuria 
#1 ·
I'm shopping for a xTerra at the moment and was wondering if there are years and variations of the 2nd Generation that are the most desirable and those that are "wouldn't touch with a 10' stick" kind? I'm planning on making it into a medium complexity trail truck. Any details are greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
There really isn't a year that you should avoid with a 10' pole. They are all good years. Now there are some with known issues or potential issues that when addressed early then the issue doesn't arise. Specially I am talking about the SMOD issue on the 2005-2008 models. SMOD stands for "strawberry milkshake of death". It's only an issue with automatic Xterras and it's due to a weak wall inside the radiator that separates the transmission fluid and radiator fluid. That wall or barrier is weak and cracks or breaks and the tranny fluid mixes with the radiator fluid killing the transmission and possibly the motor too. By now though, most of the Xterras of those years have had the recall fix or a bypass separate transmission cooler eliminating the possibility of the fluids mixing.

#3 ·
Any thoughts on this one? - http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5537204100.html

There really isn't a year that you should avoid with a 10' pole. They are all good years. Now there are some with known issues or potential issues that when addressed early then the issue doesn't arise. Specially I am talking about the SMOD issue on the 2005-2008 models. SMOD stands for "strawberry milkshake of death". It's only an issue with automatic Xterras and it's due to a weak wall inside the radiator that separates the transmission fluid and radiator fluid. That wall or barrier is weak and cracks or breaks and the tranny fluid mixes with the radiator fluid killing the transmission and possibly the motor too. By now though, most of the Xterras of those years have had the recall fix or a bypass separate transmission cooler eliminating the possibility of the fluids mixing.

#5 ·
I've seen some lifts where front is different from the rear by about 1" or so ... can anyone explain why? Coming form a Wrangler platform it's sort of weird but I'm assuming there is some method to the madness. I was planning on get it lifted somewhat along the lines of 2.5", belly armor, rock sliders, and put some 33's on it. I was told that 2.5" was enough to clear 33's without getting too much into major changes but I assumed it was 2.5" front and rear. Any thoughts?

#6 ·
On most vehicles the rear will always be slightly higher than the front. It's called "rake" and it has to do with MPG and cargo load. with trucks and SUV it plays more to the cargo load since they tend to have heavy loads in the back that weigh it down a bit. With the rake, when you put weight in the back it brings it closer to level height with the front instead of a "ganster" lean. It also helps with wind turbulence which in turn helps in MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.