Nissan XTerra Forum banner

key fob died?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bradlee 
#1 ·
The other day i was going into work and clicked the lock button on my remote and nothing happened. so i sat there clicking it a couple more times till it locked, only now the horn blew too (hazards only flashed before). so i kept missing with my remote and would get delayed reactions or no reactions so i thought my remote battery must be dying, no biggie right? so i bought a new battery, put it in the remote and the hazards on my X flashed (i guess recognizing the remote?) but the functions still dont work. thoughts?

#2 ·
What year Xterra? I would just reprogram it and see if works or not? Easy to do if other stuff is failing:

*Have all fobs you want programed*

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver's side power lock / unlock switch located
on drivers door panel.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least 6 times
within 10 seconds. Your hazard lamps will flash if you have performed this step
successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If
this procedure is performed to fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into ignition and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button oon the keyless remote. Your hazard lamps
will flash. NOTE: Do not press the button on the remote more than one time or the
programming will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining remotes (including old ones), Unlock then Lock all doors
using switch on drivers door panel and within 5 seconds press ANY button on the next
remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. Repeat this step for each remote (including any
existing remotes).

6. Turn key to the off position, remove key from the ignition. Unlock door using switch on
door panel and open drivers door.

7. Test remote(s).

Or 2nd gen:

Programming Instructions

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters
you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will
be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program
the transmitters again.
1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times
within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step
successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this
procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should
flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button
is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors
using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button
on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each
transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the
driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

SOURCE: http://www.programyourremote.com

:)

#3 ·
What year Xterra? I would just reprogram it and see if works or not? Easy to do if other stuff is failing:

*Have all fobs you want programed*

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver's side power lock / unlock switch located
on drivers door panel.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least 6 times
within 10 seconds. Your hazard lamps will flash if you have performed this step
successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If
this procedure is performed to fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into ignition and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button oon the keyless remote. Your hazard lamps
will flash. NOTE: Do not press the button on the remote more than one time or the
programming will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining remotes (including old ones), Unlock then Lock all doors
using switch on drivers door panel and within 5 seconds press ANY button on the next
remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. Repeat this step for each remote (including any
existing remotes).

6. Turn key to the off position, remove key from the ignition. Unlock door using switch on
door panel and open drivers door.

7. Test remote(s).

Or 2nd gen:

Programming Instructions

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters
you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will
be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program
the transmitters again.
1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2. Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times
within 10 seconds. Your Hazard Lamps will flash if you have performed this step
successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder each time. If this
procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3. Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4. Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should
flash. NOTE: Do not press the button more than one time in the above step. If the button
is pressed more than one time, the programming procedure will not be successful.

5. If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors
using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button
on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. Repeat this step for each
transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6. Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the
driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

SOURCE: http://www.programyourremote.com

:)

It's a 2004. I can get it to enter program mode but when i switch the key to the #2 position (ACC) and click the button on my remote nothing happens. even though when i take the battery out of the remote and put it back in the X flashes its hazards.

#5 ·
also when the battery is put back in the remote, aside from the hazards flashing, the doors lock.
That is weird? I would like to just say must be a bad FOB but I have no real clue if it is that or something internal? Probably FOB, but maybe someone else with chime in here with some ideas or knowledge I do not posses on this?

:|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.