Nissan XTerra Forum banner

my x bucks bad!!

900 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CyclePath 
#1 ·
2003 xterra 3.3 (not sure on the sub model) no s/c. So she started bucking and missing badly. I changed plugs and wires and the cap. She ran like a champ for a few days and now its back. So I changed the rotor and fuel filter No difference. I cant figure out what the problem is now. I've heard xterra's hate non NGK plugs would that make a difference in a week period with minimal driving? . Also I lifted the front two inches to compensate for my 33's . Would that make any sensors malfunction? Break any vacuum lines ect ect...

Please I need feedback asap

#3 ·
I'd start buy going to a parts store and checking for any engine codes. If its a multiple engine misfire; p0300 if I remember correctly, then the first thing I'd check is your distributor.

Also if it ran okay for a week then recheck your work (if you didnt use loc-tite on that rotor bolt its definitely possible it wiggled its way lose and is currently trying to burn a hole in your distributor cap!) Well this probably doesnt apply to your situation given you changed this afterwards.

With a timing light ($30) and a new distributor ($150ish) you can probably fix this.

As always check the basics like....
  • Clear air intake?
    Filter clean, intake connections tight, used carb cleaner on that throttle?..etc
  • Clean mass air flow sensor with dedicated MAF sensor cleaner.
  • Check battery.
  • Ensure fuel delivery via pump and fuel filter.
  • Oil level correct?
  • Plug gap set correctly?
  • Plug wires going to the correct plug and are they tight?
  • And lastly check your codes.

As always it could be anything.....but I'd suggest re-timing with a fresh distributor.

Good luck! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.