Nissan XTerra Forum banner

My other off road beast

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  yoman444 
#1 ·
Sold my blaster Saturday and picked this bad boy up today. 04 Suzuki LTZ400. Can't wait to get her out on the trails.

See less See more
#3 ·
So its been a few days since i had her and looking her over i see some issues. Mainly it needs 2 axle bearings. Damn. So last night i took the rear axle out and going to get some new bearings today. I think i like working on my Xterra better. This was a PITA

#4 · (Edited)
I finished the axle bearings, tail light socket, tires, oil change and just about ready. Just waiting on a rear skid plate, fuse box, and carb throttle plate cover. Should be done this weekend. Here she is with the new tires:

#5 ·
DAYUMMM, fella! Gonna have fun on that, I reckon

Sent from The Dark Side

#6 ·
DAYUMMM, fella! Gonna have fun on that, I reckon

Sent from The Dark Side
Haven't gotten to the trails yet but i'm sure she's gonna be!

#8 ·
loved mine when i had it. same year. mine had full aluminum skid plates, nerf bars, custom airbox, KnN, custom built exhaust, removed rear tail light, modded carburator for low RPM boost, replaced HALF of teh 6 clutch springs for better grab (weak point but all 6 was too stiff for my liking), rev box, steering stabilizer... it was fun!!!! my dads was more crazy though. he had custom built cylinder,cams, high comp pistons, stroker crank... the works. found out that once u mod the crap out of it it wasnt reliable and ended up selling it and buying a raptor 700... now with minor mods its got more HP and slick suspension and runs all day!!!!!

love your rig though! oh mine was white though.

#9 ·
oh one other thing. cool mod for the lights but you will find out quick they wont last there. that area takes a beating from rocks on the trail especially if riding in a group. theres a company, cant remember the name now damnit, that makes a mount for lights on your handlebars. bonus, they turn when u do. and a good set of atermarket bulbs in the stock lights make a WORLD of difference. oh. and if u havent done it yet, gusset the fram by where the upper front shocks mount. was a common problem with them. i ended up getting a replacement frame from suzuki for free cause of it. had to swap it all over mysel though.

#10 ·
oh again another thing... sorry i loved mine. buy an adjustable timing chain tensioner... they are cheap and REALLLLLLLY help. these motors are notorious for the tick from the timing chain. OH and on the atv there is a spacer plate between the cylinder and the lower half of the block that isnt there on the drz400 bike. that can be removed for a boost in compression but requires you to run 91+ octane fuel afterwards...

again sorry for posting so much. i know a lot about these rigs. if you have any questions PM me. also my dad may have a few performance parts from his old one kicking around if your interested. cheers!

#11 ·
Wow ok man, awesome!!! I actually have to replace the main bearing. Have any of those laying around? Started knocking last season but now its so bad i don't want to chance damaging something. Gotta tear her down and rebuild it soon. Its been too long since i went riding. Check out my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDUBzMh2EyMuKqUBNON2EKg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.