Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Where does the round-ring exhaust gasket go?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BadnewsMike 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an '01 with a passengers side exhaust leak. No, before you start typing, it's not a cracked manifold. ;)

It was cracked, but I changed that two years ago. I had the manifold/head off again this fall and it still looks good. But somewhere along the line I've gotten a sputtering/spitting sound leak. Similar to the sound the cracked manifold makes.

Anyway... when I look at parts online I see this round ring type (crush?) gasket. But I have no idea where they're supposed to go???

Between the exhaust manifold outlet and the cat there's a triangle shaped gasket. Does the ring go in the center of this?

Or does it go somewhere after the cat? (I have a CA/NY carb compliant two cat setup)

I'm trying to figure out if the noise is from my cat/pipe rusting out OR when I changed the manifold I left that ring gasket out.

A little help please? All the diagrams I see online are tiny or don't show it.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
i got that ring when i did my headers but never found a spot for it. I thought it might have been for the factory header to cat (if you had cat separate from the header)
I know some have the primery cat as part of the header, some didnt?

I only used the 3 hole crush gasket, and the block to header crush gasket... no leaks.(I have AC headers)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.