Nissan XTerra Forum banner

A few issues

871 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JacCro 
#1 ·
Hell. This is my first post so hopefully I am doing this correctly. I just bought a 2004 xterra from my sister this past Wednesday. I bought it knowing it needed work done to it but I got it at a good price (I think). Here are the issues I need your help with. The SES light is on and is throwing 2 codes but I'll start with the big one first. P0420 which is the cat on bank 1 (passenger side correct) is inefficient. The vehicle will run fine till it gets warm and that's when I have hp issues. I have problems getting the tack over 2k as the gauge is constantly flucuating as well as vehicle is jerking. So I'm assuming the cat is either badly clogged and/or broken. This vehicle did have a distributor cap failure and when it was finally replaced the timing was off a bit before that was fixed. I'm thinking that is what caused the cat issue. I was thinking of cleaning it but have now leaned towards a replacement. Wise choice?
The second code I have is knock sensor which I'm thinking is due to the cat failure and the vehicle jerking.

My last issue is the water temp gauge. When you start the vehicle the gauge stays at rest. It does not move to the very bottom cold line but than after the vehicle gets to a warm running temp than it climbs up. Would this be thermostat issue or sending unit going bad?
Thank you for any info you give.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Gen 1 xterra has issues with faulty knock sensors, so chances are you'll have that code popping up even after you fix the p0420. There are options to bypass or relocate the knock sensor. For the p0420 code i've had the code for half a year now still trying to figure out whats wrong. I replaced the cat which is costly and it did nothing, so try to figure out what could be throwing the code i doubt its the cat it self. I have a 2004 xterra as well. mine isn't supercharged but if yours is, id definitely figure out what you want to do with the knock sensor cause it will retard your timing and cause you to go into limp mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.