Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Changing Valve Stem Seals

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  spddm0n 
#1 ·
Anyone ever change the the stem seals? What tools is required to compress and remove the valve springs?

The FSM has a picture of a device that I'm not certain where to get. :)

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You can google the part number for the tool. I'm not sure if there is a universal tool that will work. Keep in mind that you'll have to run compressed air into each cylinder or use some other way of keeping the valves from dropping into the cylinders while removing the springs. You might be better off pulling the heads and doing them off the vehicle.

#3 ·
You can google the part number for the tool. I'm not sure if there is a universal tool that will work. Keep in mind that you'll have to run compressed air into each cylinder or use some other way of keeping the valves from dropping into the cylinders while removing the springs. You might be better off pulling the heads and doing them off the vehicle.
Hmmm...I tried Google'ing the part numbers...no luck. Were you able to come up with something? Can you post a link?

Yeah, I don't bother without pulling the heads. I like to replace the head gaskets (they just suck) and head bolts in attempt to get 200K+ miles on these silly engines. HG's are such a common failure. I pull the engines out too. I don't like to mess with them in the truck. :) Getting pretty good/fast getting them out. :)

#4 ·
OK, I thought you were trying to do it with the heads on. As far as the valve spring compressor, see if Auto Zone has one on their loaner program and try it. I know I had a tough time finding on that would work on my old '92 Eclipse GSX. You might be able to go to the dealer and see if they use the factory tool or something else.

#5 ·
I've only ever used the generic valve spring compressors, never done them on the Nissan. I'd snag whatever Vato Zone has and try that first.

#6 ·
None of the standard rental tools work from any of the auto shops.

This tool works (see attachment). Lisle Valve Keeper Remover & Installer.

Same tool I use on my Toyota engines. At first look, I didn't think it would fit, but it did. :)

Attachments

#8 ·
Did mine when I had the heads off. The most pain in the butt ones I've ever done, some of them there's little room for the tool. There were a couple that were a fuss and a fight and that was with the head on the bench in front of me.
Yeah, I have the heads on a bench too. Getting the springs compressed and the keepers out was a bit more challenging than I expected. I imagine going back on will be even tougher. Stiff dual springs. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.