Nissan XTerra Forum banner

PML lift shackles

24K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  TJTJ 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
Just finished mine this evening, took about two hours to install (with 4X4 parts steering enhancer package) and was very straight forward.

love the look and the ride was much improved with the addition of bilstein shocks.

The shackles are a lot more "heavy duty" looking in person then in the 4X4 photos as well... good products that come with everything you will need.

#6 ·
Since I don't wanna make PML thread #4509 I'll piggyback on this one for a quick rundown of what I need for a PML.

1. Acquire Shackles.
2. Lift butt end of X, replace shackles
3. Lift front end of X, tighten up torsion bars.
4. Admire lift and check for proper rake distance (front measurement vs back measurement)
5. Get a alignment.
6. Enjoy riding a bit higher and options of slightly larger tires.

This about the gist of it?

#9 ·
Correct.

You can lift the rear very very high if you want to...but, your FRONT will still be down low.

A torsion bar adjustment can get a free 1.5" up front....but higher than that, and you can't get a good alignment, and the outside of the front tires will rub off pretty fast, etc.

If you add a set of UCA from AC, they are shaped so as to pull the top of the tire back in, to correct for the camber change from the extra lift...so you can go ANOTHER 1.5" up, to a TOTAL of ~ 3" of FRONT LIFT.

IF you are ALSO getting the UCA's to do a full 3" up front...the adjustable shackles make more sense...

..but, not enough to raise the REAR a full 3" either, SO, You'd STILL need to add a set of AAL for example, to get the butt up the REST of the way.

:D

To provide 2.125" of rear lift....the shackle would have to be ~ 7.25" eye to eye.

The latest measurements for the fixed length shackles put them at ~ 6.625"

So that makes the adjustable shackles ABLE TO extend ~ 5/8" more than the fixed ones.

(If you want balls to the wall super shackles, as far as off roading goes, get the Revolver Shackles.)

As for new shocks, you don't NEED them to install shackles, but, your rear articulation will increase with longer shocks, as your shocks will be the limiting factor as far as wheel travel with the OEM shocks...

Of course, they already ARE too short to allow full travel anyway....so they will simply STILL be too short.

:wink-big:

#10 ·
TJ yoour so smart -thee art the god of club xterra !!!

Youll love the way the X sits after the PML, youll be saying Whatttt thats way more than an inch an a half !!!!! good starter mod !

#11 ·
Do you need to get an alignment?

#13 ·
Dang! An allignment around here is pushing $125

#15 ·
Dang! An allignment around here is pushing $125
Worth every Penny too.
If you don't do the alignment after PML your mileage will drop noticeably and driveability in slick conditions (especially in 4wd) will be sketchy at best.

#16 ·
I just installed the adjustable lift shackles and I found something interesting...
The shackles come with two sleeves. One for inside the rubber bushing in the top of the shackle (attaches to frame) and one for the lower part of the shackle (attaches to the leaf spring). The one that attaches to the leaf spring puzzles me. The spring head has a metal sleeve that appears to be press fit (or similar) into a rubber bushing - but that looks like it can't be removed.

My question is...do I use that metal sleeve for something? I don't appear to need it to install these. They install right into the the spring head without the new sleeve?

Thoughts?

#17 ·
Just wanted to know will lift shackles from 2005 fit my 2003. Can't really find many options for them for 2003. I'm new to the xterra and love mine just ordered new leaf springs for mine and they set back farther than original ones there for lowered the back of mine approx 1.5-2".

#18 ·
Just wanted to know will lift shackles from 2005 fit my 2003. Can't really find many options for them for 2003. I'm new to the xterra and love mine just ordered new leaf springs for mine and they set back farther than original ones there for lowered the back of mine approx 1.5-2".
Just get the ones for the 2000 - 2004 X, they're the right width, etc.

(2000 - 2004 X's use the same shackles, 2005+ X's use different ones)

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981298-xterra-rear-lift-shackles.html

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.