intender
Phreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
harbor freight has sidewalk sales several times a year, and every time they do they have the 12k winch for 299. they run them for $350 and $389 pretty regular too. They used to let you use the 20% coupon on top of the sidewalk sale, but the computer wouldnt add the coupon onto the sale price when I got mine. They have the 9k winch on sale for $279 right now.

The 12k winch is a 5% second duty cycle at 12k lbs so 45 seconds. Not sure what that equals at the weight of the xterra, also the line speed at 12k is 5f/s and at 4k lbs is 10f/s. I know when I got stuck the last time I ran the thing for about 1 minute straight and the thing was barely warm to the touch. I also was on and off of the control because it was honestly pulling me faster than I felt comfortable with at the angle I was sitting.

I wouldnt have bought the winch without the warranty, which I think was $50. When I was at Sams the other day they had a 12k winch in the back, cant remember the name, but it was also $299. Might be worth a look. It had some other stuff in the box besides the winch as well, but I honestly cant remember what all it was.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Robert Bills

2005 Xterra
Robert Bills is on a distinguished road
Call me old school, but I still think a Harbor Freight winch is a toy rather than a tool. I wouldn't bet my rig or my safety on one.

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
Shasta County, California

2005 Xterra Off Road
1946 Bantam T3-C Trailer
2005 Xterra
post #33 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by miskywhisky View Post
Hope you have better luck then a local guy did. Busted after the 3rd use and even after several months of replacement parts being sent still no dice. Finally took it in to be sent back.
Good to know... I know drbandkgb has one... He hasn't had issues though
2004 Xterra
post #34 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bills View Post
Call me old school, but I still think a Harbor Freight winch is a toy rather than a tool. I wouldn't bet my rig or my safety on one.
To each there own... Not saying there better then the rest ... But definatly a good bang for your buck... I had my worries buying mine but it has yet to let me down
2004 Xterra
post #35 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
RebelChief

2003 Xterra
RebelChief is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTJ View Post
Bill's post was full of excellent points.

You need something to attach/anchor to in the desert. A big rock, a large tree, etc...or a sand anchor/buried spare tire in an emergency.

Do you have shovels, picks, tree straps, etc?

Do you have rock sliders and a hi-lift jack?

-----------

Winch specific thoughts:

Scenario #1
If you wheel where getting stuck would not be a big deal, no dying out there, missing work, someone missing their insulin shots, whatever...you can get away with a less reliable recovery system...as if it doesn't work, you're still OK.

Scenario #2
If you wheel where getting stuck is a problem, as in no one will find you before you die, you lose your job, your GF dumps you because you're a loser, etc....then you can't mess around.

Wheeling alone means you should ONLY be in Scenario #1, because you are taking too much of a risk in Scenario #2...lets say you bang your head and are knocked out and bleeding...and, you have one truck, and your passenger can't drive off road well enough to get you to the hospital, etc....or get you unstuck.

If you have a coupla trucks with you, the safety in numbers thing starts to kick in...and you all have options if TSHTF, etc.

Frankly...I'd be sure to have sliders and a hi-lift, and a shovel.

Those will get you out of more jambs than you'd believe.

On Harbor Fright, etc....

Do not buy a used one, unless you get the lifetime warranty.

The reason is that the cheap winches tend to fail more than the better ones...as they cut corners to BE cheaper.

I know guys who use them, and, they fail regularly, and they just as regularly march into HF and get a new one.

If you don't have the warranty, WHEN they fail, you have a paperweight instead of a winch.

A main reason they fail is that they come with a very low duty cycle, and slow speed, as part of the cost cutting measures.

The duty cycle is how long at a time the winch can be used before you need to stop and let it cool down.

The speed is related to gearing...you can get more weight pulled if you shift down so to speak...but, in that low gear, you have power, but, you don't go very fast.

So, they use a weaker motor with a low duty cycle to sell the winch at a low price point....its called "Value Engineering" in the industry.

So, lets say that under load, the HF winch pulls at 2 feet per minute....and its rated to be able to pull for 2 minutes, and then cool for 13 minutes.

(No one tends to read the directions though....)

Lets say you were stuck 100' from where you'd be clear to go w/o the winch....so you needed to go 100'.

At 2' per minute, that's 50 minutes....of PULLING.

Of course, if you pull for 50 minutes, it burns out the motor, because you didn't let it cool.

If you follow directions, you pull for 2 minutes, and went 4'...then wait another 13 minutes....

To round off, that's ~4' every 15 minutes, or, ~ 16' per HOUR.

So, getting stuck and needing to be dragged 100' is an ALL DAY recovery.

If you had a warn for example, under the same load it might pull at 10' per minute, but, NOT need to stop and cool on the way....so the 100' might take 10 minutes TOTAL.

Now, if you're just hi-centered and need to only be pulled a few feet to get clear, sure, it should be fine....but those are the ones the sliders and hi-lift work for well too. (Jack it up so you can throw dirt under the buried tire, lower it down and drive off)

Great advice. i dont go off on a trail run alone or anything like that, i know what i can handle and i know safety first, and i have the sliders, hi lift, and straps. that probably is enough to get me out of most situations. i just wanted to get some wisdom from the more experienced members around here. I also dont tread to far away from civilization. Thanx everyone for your input i have alot to still learn.
2003 Xterra
post #36 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Personally from what I have read i think any winch you buy these days that isnt a warn or says built in america with american parts and is in the 8k-12k range is pretty much going to be the same winch internally, particularly if its under $500. All the internals are probably being cranked out of a factory in china somewhere and sold off to other companies. If it wasnt such a pain to install the thing, I would tear it apart and see if I could find any markings on the inside.

Rumor mill has it that the guy that developed the badlands stuff is a former warn employee, but who knows if thats true or not.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
post #37 of 37 Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 PM
miskywhisky
Phreak

2000 Xterra
miskywhisky will become famous soon enough miskywhisky will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by intender View Post
Rumor mill has it that the guy that developed the badlands stuff is a former warn employee, but who knows if thats true or not.
Engo is a former mile marker guy. But they are imported straight from china. And while they might be good quality control is out the window.

I will say this as a former Warn employee, they were a great company to work for and i would love to go back. They provided a living wage and treated their employees like equals instead of numbers. Kind of a rarity in this day but if you do buy one you are supporting a good business.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
options , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.