Engine misfiring - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
dynaman
Noob

2002 Xterra
dynaman is on a distinguished road
Engine misfiring

Hi all, first time poster. My girlfriend has a 2002 Xterra with a non-supercharged V6 and it has recently started misfiring. The vehicle starts, idles and runs smoothly except when under hard acceleration in the higher gears. I purchased a code reader in the hopes of narrowing the problem down to a single cylinder but that hasn't worked. The codes I read are:

P1448
P0328
P0128
P0300

Could the knock sensor cause misfiring?

Thanks.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
No! the knock sensor has nothing to do with it.
It is most likely a bad distributor top bearing. If you are not mechanical, or do not understand how to replace the bearing, replace the whole distributor with a new one!
Do not buy a cheapy, as it will not last at all!
There is a DIY on it in that section.

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#3 Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
dynaman
Noob

2002 Xterra
Thanks for the reply. I've done some research and it seems that bearing failure is commonplace. I've never done it before but I'm not afraid of tearing the distributor apart. However, I'd probably be better off having someone else press in the new bearing.

Are there any other suspect components in the distributor I should look for? Are there any tell-tale signs of bearing failure that can be spotted without removing the distributor?
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaman View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've done some research and it seems that bearing failure is commonplace. I've never done it before but I'm not afraid of tearing the distributor apart. However, I'd probably be better off having someone else press in the new bearing.

Are there any other suspect components in the distributor I should look for? Are there any tell-tale signs of bearing failure that can be spotted without removing the distributor?
Basically you're looking for debris from the failing bearing. It can be done with the distributor in place but it's a pain in the ass that way.

Read through this thread. http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22116

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
You can get a new distributor from say advance to have on hand, and attempt to repair the old one (replace the bearing). If that doesn't work out.. well you just don't return the spare and install it instead.

(Edit> Just make sure you attempt it within the return period and make sure they'll take it back. Some places are pretty anal about returning electronic parts, but others are more willing if there's no indication the part was actually installed)
2001 Xterra
#6 Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
dynaman
Noob

2002 Xterra
I wound up dropping in a new distributor and the vehicle runs MUCH better. However, it still bucks (misfires?) a bit when shifted into a higher gear. This only occurs when the gas pedal is mashed and motor is spinning at low RPMs. It's not the usual bogging that might be expected with an early shift. I cleared the codes and now simply get "P0328" after driving the vehicle under various conditions for about an hour.

Thoughts?
2002 Xterra
#7 Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 PM
rjr162
Phreak

2001 Xterra
rjr162 will become famous soon enough rjr162 will become famous soon enough
Spark plugs may be a bit worn too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AutoGuide App
2001 Xterra
#8 Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
dynaman
Noob

2002 Xterra
Ok, plugs are in order. My GF just informed me that she changed out all but cylinder #6....about five years ago. I think 185K warrants replacement, lol.
2002 Xterra
#9 Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
dynaman
Noob

2002 Xterra
Hmm, I'm confused about the proper procedure for adjusting the timing. Do I need to disconnect the TPS to do this? If so, does it require the removal of both connectors to the TPS?

Also, is the pulley marked 5ATDC, TDC, 5BTDC, 10BTDC AND 15BTDC (left to right)?? I set mine to 10BTDC with TPS still connected.
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.