Keyless entry? How to tell if I have it. - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Excellent!

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM
cannothas

2000 Xterra
cannothas is on a distinguished road
Now I'm MEGA bummed :-( Went through the 3 steps, and no blinks. Got in driver's side, locked the doors, and did the in-out with the key 6 times (definitely less than 10 seconds), and nothing.

Sad times.

EDIT:
So it would seem I was getting too frisky with the ignition: in lamentation I decided to try the process one last time and had great success! So, for anyone still interested in this, make sure you take at least 5 seconds in the process, because I was getting all 6 inserts inside 3 seconds the first few times I tried :-)

Mod List
Rear Swaybar Delete
Intake Resonators Delete
Still Planning
Replace Stock Air Filter with Conical
PML

Last edited by cannothas; 02-16-2013 at 01:28 PM.
2000 Xterra
#13 Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM
cannothas

2000 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburgguy View Post
I ordered a keyfob last night from Ebay for $12 shipped from a reputable seller. I'll report back for future reference if it works or not. Thanks.
Was just wondering if this was a stock fob, or an aftermarket? If stock, was it specifically for the year your X is from? Mine's a 2000, can I get the less expensive ones, like is talked about here: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38280 ?

Thanks!

EDIT:
So after an hour's research: The 2000 X needs FCC ID KOBUTA3T key fobs. The expensive ones :-( Least I have keyless!

Mod List
Rear Swaybar Delete
Intake Resonators Delete
Still Planning
PML

Last edited by cannothas; 02-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.
2000 Xterra
#14 Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM
dave13lawrence
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
dave13lawrence is on a distinguished road
I bought these, and they work perfectly!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251069000763...84.m1497.l2649
2003 Xterra
#15 Old 02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
cannothas

2000 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13lawrence View Post
Argh! Already bought some on eBay. Well, that settles it. I'm sure FCC ID has something to do with it, but it's not the only factor.

Sent from my Vivid 4G

Mod List
Rear Swaybar Delete
Intake Resonators Delete
Still Planning
PML
2000 Xterra
#16 Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
I am betting that all Xterras with the electric locks have keyless built in.
2002 Xterra
#17 Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
RigelX
Noob

2004 Xterra
RigelX is on a distinguished road
Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251069000763...84.m1497.l2649
Thanks for the link!
Just ordered mine.
I don't know why I never thought to check Ebay. My local dealer wants $120 for just 1! Been putting it off for over a year.

Last edited by RigelX; 02-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.
2004 Xterra
#18 Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
sdtriathlete
Noob

2003 Xterra
sdtriathlete is on a distinguished road
I bought a used 2003 Xterra 4x4 and it only came with a single key and no key fobs. I finally found a locksmith who made me spares for $5 each, after first insisting it had transponders and would be the $120 key model. Anyway, ordered the same key fobs off eBay as above, but so far no luck in programming them. Before I ordered them I tested with the key insertion and did get the double hazard light flash. Now I can't get it to flash twice after key insertions. Even so, I turned to ACC after inserting 6+ times in 10 seconds and when I press the key fob button I get 2 hazard light flashes. So it would seem to recognize the remote, but when I test I get no response from the vehicle at all. Seems very odd....why does it flash when I depress the buttons during the programming procedure, but then it doesn't work? Could be because I didn't get the initial 2 flashes prior to turning the key to ACC. So what am I doing wrong? Also, turning the key in the door at one point didn't lock/unlock doors, then it did, and now it doesn't. Seems erratic, or did I enter some odd mode?
2003 Xterra
#19 Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM
dave13lawrence
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
dave13lawrence is on a distinguished road
Get in lock the door, insert and remove key until lights flash, press lock button on remote, unlock door using the switch on door, open door..signals will blink . Then use remote to lock and unlock.
2003 Xterra
#20 Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
sdtriathlete
Noob

2003 Xterra
sdtriathlete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Get in lock the door, insert and remove key until lights flash, press lock button on remote, unlock door using the switch on door, open door..signals will blink . Then use remote to lock and unlock.
Thanks for trying, but I have the instructions found here and in my service manual. I'm looking for some other insight into what I might be doing wrong or what I might be missing. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions closely, trying the insertion/removal of the key at various speeds, fully and completely, 6x, 7x, 8x in 10 seconds and more. Anyone know why the keyfob seems to get recognized by the vehicle (as seen by the 2 hazard light flashes when I depress the key fob with key in ACC position), but then it doesn't work? What significance is it that I did not see the 2 flashes following key insertion, but prior to turning key to ACC position? (And seriously Nissan.....you couldn't come up with a better and easier way to start the programming sequence? Ever hear of a thing called "switch"? Maybe under the dash somewhere? Seems easier to me.)
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.