Rough idle, Then Shut down - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 02-16-2013, 05:24 AM
JPR1209

2002 Xterra
JPR1209 is on a distinguished road
Rough idle, Then Shut down

I have a '02 X S/C the other week my wife was driving the X and it died on her after shuttering at a stop light. I went to check it out and noticed that the #5 ignition wire boot had been chewed on ( acorn where everywhere also) and the bracket was exposed. We got it back to the house. I changed out the ignition wires and still runs rough when in gear then dies. I had the distr cap ignition wires and plugs all replaced 20,000 mi ago. As well as the timing belt and fuel system, exhaust manifolds and gaskets and trans flush. Took it to autozone no code has been thrown and the MIL has not come on. At a lost for ideas on what the issue is. I did wonder if the could be excess gas stopping the #5 plug from firing correctly. It does drive for about an 1/8th mi before i have to shut it down or let it die. Any help would be appreciated.
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 AM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
I would bet other things got chewed, but have no guesses as to what. Did you replace all of the wires?

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT
2003 Xterra
#3 Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM
JPR1209

2002 Xterra
chewed

Yes I changed the rest of the wires as well as the chewed one. From what I can see nothing else has been chewed on or worn out. I have looked all around the engine top, bottom and side to side with wheels removed. I am going to change to rest of the spark plugs. then see if that helps.
2002 Xterra
#4 Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
check the wires that plug into the distributor to give it power follow them all the way back to where they run, they may have gotten chewed on. check your battery ground cable at its ground point on the frame and all grounds that run to engine block. but any wire could have gotten chewed and screw the whole truck up.

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 AM
JPR1209

2002 Xterra
Haha

Well thanks for the advice but i found the problem. There was acorn debris around the plug. So my guess is the ignition wire i replaced was never sitting on the plug correctly. So today I am going to remove the supercharger and see if I can't see it better and get in there to clear the debris. Again thanks for all the advice I will update with any other info.
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Gingerbloke

2001 Xterra
Gingerbloke is on a distinguished road
Stupid acorns.

Coming soon:
[ ] Body trim paint
[X] mud flaps removed
[X] new tires
[ ] Bilsteins all around
[X] Resonator delete
[ ] PML W/UCA and upgraded torsion bars
[ ] HID Hi/Lo kit
[ ] Roof rack
[ ] Quest alternator
[ ] 02 S/C radiator swap

KCCO!
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
JPR1209

2002 Xterra
ok still runs rough

Well I guess I did not solve the problem. I replaced all of the spark plugs after cleaning all of the acorn mess up. Check to make sure all plugs were tight and wires snug and tightly connected to the plugs. put my S/C intake back on and she ran fine. All day sunday drove around 3 times for first for 10min the 15 min then ran a few errand s 30 min. Wife dorve it to work Monday and it was fine till she was about a block away. I tried to drive it home but kept stalling. It would not let me get the rpms past 2k. and when I stomped on it the rpms dropped. Finally I gave up. I disconnected the battery and reset it. I am going to try and get it home tonight when I pick up the misses. any help is appreciated if anyone is still listening.
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
SamsXE
Veteran

2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
Um check inside the intake box. Like you may have sucked a squirrel up in the intake...fur and acorn junk tends to mess up the MAF sensor readings...

TAKE PICS OF WHAT YOU FIND IN THERE!!!
2004 Xterra
#9 Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM
JPR1209

2002 Xterra
Today's drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsXE View Post
Um check inside the intake box. Like you may have sucked a squirrel up in the intake...fur and acorn junk tends to mess up the MAF sensor readings...

TAKE PICS OF WHAT YOU FIND IN THERE!!!
I took apart the air intake, when I changed out the spark plugs and checked for any clogs. I am going to clean the MAF as soon as I get it home.

I tried to drive the rest of the way home today and made almost there, till it just stalled and would not go anymore. The rpms were fluctuating between 500 and 2000 the whole drive and had to let it coast above idle most of the way. It stalled every time I had to stop at a light. To get it going I would start it the put it drive and hit the accelerator as fast as possible. Thinking that the problem is the distributor.
2002 Xterra
#10 Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
iwashmycar
Addict

2003 Xterra
iwashmycar is on a distinguished road
Sounds very likely

-Adam

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 2WD AT

2007 (O|TOYOTA|O) FJ Cruiser 4WD AT
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.