Yet another Knock Sensor Thread - 2002 S/C - Page 4 - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #31 of 38 Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM
dejablue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
make sure you get the right one ,i saw a post last week were someone when to auto zone and they gave him the wrong one and didnt work.stay a away from ebay or any from japan.

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Nerfball6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 Xterra
Nerfball6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejablue View Post
make sure you get the right one ,i saw a post last week were someone when to auto zone and they gave him the wrong one and didnt work.stay a away from ebay or any from japan.
Yeah, I pulled the one off the X already and am taking it with. Besides, they need it or I pay the core charge. I'm getting it from Advanced Auto Parts, I saw a recommendation that their remanufactured parts have a better success rate than Auto Zone.

I sure hope this is actually the culprit. I'll know soon.

Cheers,
Dave
2002 Xterra
post #33 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Nerfball6

2002 Xterra
Nerfball6 is on a distinguished road
Well, it's a little hard to be optimistic, but (knock on wood) I just got back from a 2 hour test drive after replacing the MAF sensor and it ran fantastic. No stalling, sputtering, hesitating, or any of the issues, and much zippier overall. I took it on the highway and also in town, stop and go with a lot of turns, went to a few stores, etc... So far so good!!

When I replaced the sensor I also took off the housing and cleaned the screen, and also replaced the air filter (which wasn't horrible but figured I might as well).

I still can't believe the dealer wanted $850.00 for that part and I got a remanufactured one for $135.00.

Once again, I want to say thanks to this site and to dennis for all the help. If it turns out that this was the answer (which so far seems to be) you guys saved me piles of money, time, and frustration!!!!!
2002 Xterra
post #34 of 38 Old 02-23-2010, 02:12 PM
dejablue

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
2002 &2003 Xterra
dejablue has a spectacular aura about them dejablue has a spectacular aura about them
thats great news, keep that air filter clean!

Dennis
2002 &2003 Xterra
post #35 of 38 Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Swamp-Man

2002 Xterra
Swamp-Man is on a distinguished road
I am experiencing the same issues that you had Nerfball. I am going to give this MAF sensor option a go and see how it works out for me because the last couple months have been extra rough on the MPG's! I expect the drop in winter because it does get cold in Thunder Bay but last winter my mileage was much better.

2002 Xterra SE - Supercharged - Automatic - 4WD

Hankook Dynapro A/T 265/65/R17
Heavy Duty Bilstein Shocks for 3" lift
Rear Sway Bar removed
2002 Xterra
post #36 of 38 Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Jackal
Addict

2002 Xterra
Jackal will become famous soon enough
Garage
Just finished reading this thread and have to say that while I haven't been on in awhile, it is good to see the level of care and expertise exhibited on CX. Enjoy your X Nerfball. Awesome work Dejablue.

Nissan: 2002 SE/SC V6 4x4 3.3L Silver Ice Metallic
Upgrades: 3"SL, TC IAB, stainless brakelines, K&N FIPK, removed resonator, Powerslot cryo-slotted rotors, GY Gatorback belts, new radiator, Optima Yellowtop, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2, tail light guards, Clarion in-dash DVD/iPod, RF P500-2 and dual 12's, GR CL, AC TRA's, zombie survival kit.

Build Thread
2002 Xterra
post #37 of 38 Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
Orlanda is on a distinguished road
Just finished reading this thread, and I gotta say I know how u feel. Just spent $9000 on an 02 with supercharger, had it 3 mos and it started dying on me. The KS code was the first thing I went after too, but have since found out that prob 60+% of Nissans will show this code, and no, it doesn't activate the dash light. Apparently is can be as simple as a bad tank of gas. The SC engines require hi-octane fuel and there's just no getting around it. Anyway, after much frustration I ended up taking it to the shop and after the diagnostic found out I am getting a new clutch. $1500+ ouch. Boy was I off base!
Anyway, my point is it's prob not the ks. Hopefully you've got it fixed it now...
Post up and let us know how it goes, the guys (and girls) on this site are amazing, so knowledgable and always willing to offer help to us noobs!
here's the link to my thread if u wanna know what's happened with my X
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41009
2002 SC Xterra
post #38 of 38 Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
that is all symptoms of a bad distributor but they usually dont last this long when the symptoms show, if it acts up again pull the plug for the MAF while its running, if no change its bad if it changes idle or dies its fine, after that i would check the spark plu for age and wear and check to see if your getting proper spark at the distributor cap and check the rotor (thing under cap) for wear and all metal contact in cap for wear. then check your wires and fuel filter.

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.