DT Headers on '03 S/C - DONE - Page 10 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#91 Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Swamp-Man

2002 Xterra
Swamp-Man is on a distinguished road
I am planning on purchasing the DT headers since my manifolds have the little cracks going on....

I don't have an appropriate space to do work for this installation so I will have to get a muffler shop to do it for me. What sort of hours are we looking at for labor? My X is at stock height so I would like to hear from the other fellow X guys if it really will cause that much of an increase in labor hours.

I appreciate all the great info on this forum!!

2002 Xterra SE - Supercharged - Automatic - 4WD

Hankook Dynapro A/T 265/65/R17
Heavy Duty Bilstein Shocks for 3" lift
Rear Sway Bar removed
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM
phrog man
Chrome can go to hell

2004 Xterra
phrog man will become famous soon enough
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=493094

Something I wrote on a similar thread.
Do your research on a good shop because it's going to be a lot of man hours and a complicated job!

2004 BLACK X-AUTO
Build Thread
2004 Xterra
#93 Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
justageorgiaguy

2003 SE-SC Xterra
justageorgiaguy is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the delayed response. It's hard for me to say if the headers alone are worth it, but I am sure they are. I did the headers and the s/c pulley & nismo cat back at the same time, so the gains were huge. Oh, and there is no MPG gain....i would bet a loss, but the s/c drinks gas either way.
2003 SE-SC Xterra
#94 Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
fatkid_UH-60
Addict

2004 XE Xterra
fatkid_UH-60 is on a distinguished road
I've just finished with my header install, and yes without the 2" body lift, it was much longer of a job than I anticipated. I had to cut on the drivers side to get the O2 sensor to fit against the body, and drop the front drive shaft to get the old header out. Plus my EGR tube was frozen stuck, and I ended up having to cut the header around it to get it out. ON the passenger side, my aft O2 sensor was so stuck i couldn't get it out before pulling the down pipe. in order to do that, i had to move the transmission cross member, jack up the transmission to hold it up, and then get the cat/down tube out.

K&N CAI, Shrockworks front and rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Shrockworks engine/tranny skid plate, AC 3" Suspension Lift and extended shackles, Baja Rack w/Light Bar, 2 Hella 500s and 4 Hella 700s.

"Many Bothans died to bring us this information"
2004 XE Xterra
#95 Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
NoWhining
Veteran

2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
I wish I could run headers in California, but the smog check stations won't pass them (or it's not worth the hassle). What mufflers do you have on that? I really like my flowmaster setup.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra
#96 Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
nevada68

nevada68 is on a distinguished road
do you get a benefit from the catback by itself or do you need to do headers as well on the SC models? i have an '04 and was thinking about installing one. from the sounds of it (pun intended) it would not be the nismo lol.
#97 Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
vinmonty

2003 Xterra
vinmonty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkid_UH-60 View Post
I had to cut on the drivers side to get the O2 sensor to fit against the body, and drop the front drive shaft to get the old header out.
Dude, I had my guy put these in for me. He put the CEL on the front o2 sensors instead of the rear cause he assumed that because the driverside o2 sensor wouldnt fit that the CEL were just extensions. Cut you show me and tell me where and how you CUT to get the o2 sensor in the driver side? I also have no BL. That way, he can get the front o2 sensors in without any CEL and put the CEL on the rear.

My SES light keeps popping on and off and I have a bad lag.
2003 Xterra
#98 Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Farragut07

2002 Xterra
Farragut07 is on a distinguished road
So the part of TN I live in has no smog check/emissions what so ever. They tried a few years ago and it got voted down by a huge margin. Anyways exhaust is something I'm looking to do first. I had a 2500 Dodge Ram when I was 16 and I ran dual pipes with a two 40 series flowmasters. However, I have been reading a lot on here and it looks like there is some tricks on eliminating the cats. I see where you can get the plug for the first one, but is there a trick to the second one?
2002 Xterra
#99 Old 10-19-2013, 12:43 PM
snunicycler
Veteran

2004 Xterra
snunicycler is on a distinguished road
Don't worry about the second ones. the o2 sensors aren't monitored.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
2004 Xterra
#100 Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 PM
NissanTy
Veteran

NissanTy is on a distinguished road
I had mine installed 2 weeks ago and so far love them, i feel good getting rid of them heavy, power robbing stock manifolds with the cats. I still need to have a bigger y pipe made with high flow metallic cats put on to get full potential of the thorleys. Did you notice more vibration and valve tick inside the cab? I eliminated a leak because I stuck my head inside each wheel well and under the hood and heard nothing. Thanks.

04 frontier kc xe 4x4 v6

Tags
doug , haders , supercharged , thorley , xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.