Power steering pump is whining and barfing - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Mirage
Veteran

2003 Xterra
Mirage will become famous soon enough Mirage will become famous soon enough
When you bleed it, just fill the reservoir and crank the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock several times, its a lot easier if the front end is in the air on jack stands.

The stop leak probably did not help your pump any, I had that stuff trash a PS pump in an old B13 Sentra before I knew more about nissan ps systems.
2003 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Wponcho
Veteran

2001 Xterra
Wponcho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac289GT View Post
I believe mine was slightly whining for about a year or so
Mine is pretty much at that stage right now. I guess I'll fix it when it goes out completely.

- Rodger
"You think this is a game? Wu-Tang! Wu-Tang!"

"It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men!!! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back."

'01 X SOLD
2001 Xterra
#13 Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Noxious007
Addict

2002 Xterra
Noxious007 will become famous soon enough
New PS pump is in and working. It wasn't too difficult minus being in a tight space. I bled the system with a quart of fluid and it looks great now. Took it out in the parking lot and did slow circles to make sure I didn't have any problems with travel in either direction.

Ian
2002 XTERRA SE 4X4
Under The Hood - K&N Filter, Resonator Delete, Low Pro Snorkel, Quest Alternator, B&M Trans Cooler, E-Fan
Interior - LOBO Rack, Raingler Net, Xterra Seat Covers, Inclinometer, DIY Homelink, TouchScanXL
Exterior - 2" BL, PML, IAB, Bandit4X4 IA bushings, Bilsteins, Delete Rear Swaybar, Rear Dif Breather Extension, Limited Slip Dif, BFG TA KO 33x10.5r15 , Flowmaster 40 series SI/SO, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Rock Sliders
2002 Xterra
#14 Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Coxterra
Addict

2002 Xterra
Coxterra is on a distinguished road
I'm suspecting my PS pump may be going out. It whines a ton, especially when it is cold. It has been doing this for about a year now. If I try to turn the wheel while parked, most of the time it feels like I don't even have power steering.

Do you think replacing the PS pump would solve this issue?

Cameron
02 SE/SC 5spd/ 2" AC BL /3" AC SL /Calmini HD Steering/ 33" Duratracs on Cragar Soft 8s / Volant CAI / Rancho 9000XLs/ Concept Customs rear tire carrier bumper/Shrockworks front bumper

To come: exhaust, lights, sliders.

Build Thread
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.