Oh no... - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM
xtacular
Spaz

2002 Xterra
xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough xtacular is a jewel in the rough
Given the right temperature and humidity, it can blow steam indefinitely. I was in stop and go traffic for about an hour after skiing a few weeks ago and every single car was putting off a good amount the whole time.

2002 Super Black 5 Speed 4x4
Lift/Suspension: AC Shackles and UCAs, Extended Bilsteins, 2" BL
Armor: front ARB Bumper, rear Skid Row bumper with custom tire carrier
Steering: Bandit 4x4 idler arm bushings, AC HD TRAs, Calmini IAB; Moog TREs and 555 centerlink
Wheels/Tires: 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, desert runner wheels
Performance: K&N intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler
Electronics: backup camera, Pioneer head unit, JBL 770w amp, JL Audio 12" W0, rear Sony Xplods
2002 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 AM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
ryan_calif is on a distinguished road
Haha, you guys are killing me here.

dyna105, I'll give your bag trick a shot tomorrow morning. After your truck sat for 3 weeks, did it keep dripping water out even after it was warmed up?

I'll keep you guys up to date! Thanks all.

2001 XE 4WD Manual Mineral Blue
2001 Xterra
#13 Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
Bad radiator cap.

That was the diagnosis from the shop. They said the steam and water were perfectly normal and everything checked out ok. They did a pressure test and chemical test on the coolant system.

Apparently the coolant smell I was getting from the engine compartment was due to a bad seal between the radiator cap and radiator.

Dodged a bullet there! Thanks guys for the help. You all helped keep my sanity in check while waiting for the official word.

Last edited by ryan_calif; 02-04-2013 at 04:24 PM.
2001 Xterra
#14 Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
dyna105
Noob

2004 Xterra
dyna105 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you got out on the cheap. It did keep dripping till the exhaust system completely heated up. Which is a while longer than the engine heating up. This was inside the shop the whole time. I think what had you going was the loss of coolant with the smell.Than you found the tailpipe dripping.
2004 Xterra
#15 Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
that water in the exhaust comes not just from the combustion process...but due to the humidity in the air...

typically...the exhaust systems metal will be colder than the ambient air...even at warmer temperatures...the ambient air is combusted...and cooled as it travels down the exhaust pipes. As air cools...it has less ability to hold water in it (as a humid vapor). So the warmer combusted air can travel with water vaporized in the form of humidity...and as it cools, it can't hold as much water in vapor state...so it condenses out of the air and turns to water in the exhaust.

So it depends not just on temperature of the ambient air...but also on the humidity...and also on the temperature of the exhaust system...and also the heat transfer coefficient of how much heat/temperature is lost in the exhaust gas as it travels through the system!

It is the same way you get water droplets on the outside of a glass of ice water...the ice and water doesn't physically travel through the glass...the ice water cools the glass material enough that the air right next to it cools too! The ambient air in the room is warm enough to hold enough vapor in gas form...but the air cools right next to the glass and the vapor water changes phase into water drops on the cold glass!

Another long winded answer by rob!

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >

Last edited by robcarync; 02-08-2013 at 07:49 PM.
2004 Xterra
#16 Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM
ryan_calif

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna105 View Post
Glad to hear you got out on the cheap. It did keep dripping till the exhaust system completely heated up. Which is a while longer than the engine heating up. This was inside the shop the whole time. I think what had you going was the loss of coolant with the smell.Than you found the tailpipe dripping.
Yeah what got me was that it was still dripping water even after I let it idle and warm up for 20 minutes. What I didn't consider though is the difference between the engine being warm and the exhaust system being warm... I always thought everything was good to go and hot once the temperature needle was in the middle.

Not really the case... the exhaust system kinda lags a bit behind the engine. So it really does take a good 15-20 min drive to get the exhaust system completely hot. After that, no steaming or dripping.

2001 Xterra
#17 Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Everybody makes that assumption which is why nobody believes experienced techs when they tell them they are harsh drivers. Anything under a 20 minute drive is technically harsh on the vehicle. The coolant does not indicate a warmed up vehicle. It takes a long time for the exhaust and the Oil inside the engine to warm up compared to the coolant. It only takes roughly 7 Minutes for the coolant to reach temperature but it takes like 15 for the oil and about 20 for the full exhaust to warm up. It also depends on temperature obviously.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#18 Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
NoWhining
Veteran

2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
Ryan, you indeed dodged a bullet there... I'm not so fortunate.

My X stopped (or slowed) the dripping of water from the A/C unit. Then the A/C wouldn't work for a while or only when I 'tapped' the compressor with a tire iron.

Last bill is over $2100 and I still don't have it back yet.
Driving a POS rental car.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.