KS relocation mod question - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

post #11 of 35 Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Orlanda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2002 SC Xterra
Orlanda is on a distinguished road
So far it's like this: The problems started about a month ago (3months to the day I bought it). The first thing was the engine losing power. It would feel like the clutch was slipping (way after it had engaged) and the revs would go really high just as it hit 3500rpm, when the supercharger should kick in (I could always feel the extra power when it ran properly) and the revs would come back down and run normally. Then I noticed the rattle in the muffler, figured i'd maybe knocked something loose while off road (I've only had it off road twice, and not since the problems started). The problem with the engine got worse and worse until I have almost no power at all. Feels like when u try to start in 2nd gear instead of first, but ALL the time. I took it in for a code scan last week and got the ks code P0328, and the low catalyst efficiency code P04030. Yesterday I tried the ks by-pass mod, and initally thought I had more power but now guess it must have been wishful thinking. It's worse than ever now, and as of today running rougher too.
Tomorrow I will try to find somewhere to run a full diagnostic and see what that shows.
I bought it from a used car place in Burnaby, Luxor motors, and there's no warranty or anything, besides I'm on the Island so just getting it over there is a big hassle. I've been in touch with the dealership in Nanaimo a few times but they treated me like crap, I don't expect much different from the one in Victoria but I'll try them tomorrow.
I'm not going to drive it anymore except to take it for diagnostic. I guess I should probably undo the bypass, good thing I thought of that when I did it. Once I have a better idea of what's going on I'll try to figure out what to do...
2002 SC Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Chef is on a distinguished road
if you hear rattling in your tailpipe then it should be the cat. yes undo the "mod" and have it checked out.
2003 Xterra
post #13 of 35 Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
yay! Good news: I found someone local who used to work for nissan and owns 01 frontier w sc, same engine as mine! Truck goes in wed am for diagnostic. Talked to him on the phone, he said all the same things u guys have said, and is confident he can find and fix the problem(s). Bad news: it ain't gonna be cheap, shop time is just under $100/ hr. Good &bad news: parents going t pay for repairs, add to the many thousands I still owe them.
Ah well, overall i suppose things could be worse, at least I should be back on the road soon, that'll make me super happy. The body lift, new tires, bush bumper, etc will just have to wait that much longer, i'm glad the x's are sweet just stock
2002 SC Xterra
post #14 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
it's the clutch?!

ok, took x into shop this am, they just called back to say the problem is the clutch. I am surprised, I really didn't think that's what it was, I've had clutches go on other vehicles and it wasn't anything like this...
He says I have no power because the clutch is not engaging fully until revs are higher.
now waiting for call back with estimate.
2002 SC Xterra
post #15 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
$1500
2002 SC Xterra
post #16 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Ouch.
2003 Xterra
post #17 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
I am sorry that it has not been easy sailing for you. On a side not though
Wow. This must be a funny but bumpy road for you. To suspect the Supercharger the whole time and then get T-Boned by a clutch diagnosis damn. (let me know if im being rude)

I do have a question though. If it is the clutch did he give an explanation for the codes that you pulled?

In a way having the clutch go though is a good thing. Looks like it was not the X failing but just a maintenance item.
Having troubles with the supercharger would really suck and I would have probably felt the same way you did. I have a friend who owns a 1996 TT Supra and is having turbo issues. They do not always spool up. he lost a 0-60 to a Lexus. He was not happy.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
post #18 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Orlanda

2002 SC Xterra
Ya crazy right!? No of course ur not being rude, I'm on here because I am always interested in what u guys think.
I just have the shit luck sometimes. But actually I was expecting probs with the cats, sensors, etc, and double the repair cost. Clutches need to be replaced eventually anyway, and to get my X back running, and completely checked out with a clean bill of health, I guess I'll be pretty happy
(then I can focus on the windows, wipers, washer fluid resiviour, and cd player that don't work)
The guys at the shop say I have a good truck and nothing else is wrong with it. I asked about the codes and he said the KS code is common on all Nissans and not to worry about it, just stick with the hi-test gas, and the catalyst code is just an o2 sensor which is an easy fix. I hope they are right in this...
A day or two and I'll be back on the rd and in the mud, fingers xed
2002 SC Xterra
post #19 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
Well having a knock sensor code is not always a bad thing. A lot of people and even some mechanics assume that when they get that error code, it means the knock sensor is bad. Even worse, some mechanics will tell you that the knock sensor is bad when you get that code and have you fork over $1000 for them to "fix" it when that isn't the problem. A knock sensor code means just that... something has tripped the knock sensor. Also, a knock sensor code will not set off your check engine light. It is a hidden error code. Probably 60% of the xterras on the road right now are riding around with that code and will never know it until something else throws the CEL.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
post #20 of 35 Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Chef
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
Drake speaks the truth. Could be the o2, after looking at the wiring diagram, they are four wire sensors. They are powered heater o2 sensors and they could be not heat up fast enough and is giving the PCM a bad signal throwing off your fuel trim. Ad causing you to go rich tripping the knock code?
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.