Flywheel question - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Ban one
Noob

2000 Xterra
Ban one is on a distinguished road
Flywheel question

I've been a long time reader and have never needed to post a question because everything I needed to know I've found on here, but I can't seem to find out what I need to know. Long story short I did not pay attention to the position of the flywheel when I pulled it off the motor. I looked through the FSM and didn't find anything. Does anybody know how I get it back in the correct position? It's a 2000 3.3 4x4 auto. The flywheel has 6 bolts but no dowel pin. I have the engine at TDC and rationally you would think that the small metal tab that is spot welded to the engine side of the flywheel would line up right over the crank position sensor, but I'm just not sure. Is there anyone out there that can steer me in the right direction, I don't want to have to pull the engine again if it's not right. Thanks.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Revu
Addict

2005 Xterra
Revu will become famous soon enough
I'm definitely not the expert on the 3.3 engine, but I do know that not all engines require a particular positioning on the flywheel. What's important is that the flywheel is adjusted properly in that the ring gear is within the proper tolerances of the plate, and that everything balances out without any warping and without anything being at all crooked.

A lot of Flywheels have offset bolt patterns, which means it will only bolt to the engine in one way. If all of the bolt holes are evenly spaced though then it might not matter.

As long as everything measures up right, I've seen people completely grind off their dowel pins in order to fit aftermarket flywheels onto their engines also.

There are a couple of options for you and hopefully someone who has experience with this particular engine will also chime in.

Good luck!
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.