Nissan XTerra Forum banner

! Help car wont start!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mttor03 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Xterra 3.3L V6 I got in July. I replaced the starter in September. Got in her today to go to work and NOTHING happened! Tried to jump her...still nothing. I don't think it's the battery or alternator since everything electrical worked and trying to jump her nothing happened. No starter ticking sound. Is this a common problem???? Another unrelated question. ABS light keeps coming on but I have no idea how to pull codes. Tried what the manual says to read them but no ABS light flashing when grounding terminal 8. Every now and then when I brake the wheels kind of freeze for a second. Any insight?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

#2 · (Edited)
i have the same car same year, my ABS has been out pretty much since i bought it, i just adjusted my driving knowing i don't have ABS, some people who are better drivers than me prefer no ABS so they can in complete control. Over the years I have not had a problem with not having ABS, i just kinda sucked it up and will have it fixed one dayn when i can afford it.

as for the car not starting, check the cables, connections, fuses and the dont forget the fuse box on the positive side of the battery, could be a loose connection.

if you can get it cranked the trick to test battery vs alternator is to have the car running preferably with a fully warmed up engine, then disconnect the battery. if the car turns off, you have an alternator problem, if not, then you most likely have a battery issue.

no ticking usually means the battery is dead as a doornail.

the brakes freezing im guessing is the brakes locking because you don't have ABS anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.