! Help car wont start!! - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
sfyessey
Noob

2000 Xterra
sfyessey is on a distinguished road
! Help car wont start!!

I have a 2000 Xterra 3.3L V6 I got in July. I replaced the starter in September. Got in her today to go to work and NOTHING happened! Tried to jump her...still nothing. I don't think it's the battery or alternator since everything electrical worked and trying to jump her nothing happened. No starter ticking sound. Is this a common problem???? Another unrelated question. ABS light keeps coming on but I have no idea how to pull codes. Tried what the manual says to read them but no ABS light flashing when grounding terminal 8. Every now and then when I brake the wheels kind of freeze for a second. Any insight?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM
robotapartments

2000 Xterra
robotapartments is on a distinguished road
i have the same car same year, my ABS has been out pretty much since i bought it, i just adjusted my driving knowing i don't have ABS, some people who are better drivers than me prefer no ABS so they can in complete control. Over the years I have not had a problem with not having ABS, i just kinda sucked it up and will have it fixed one dayn when i can afford it.

as for the car not starting, check the cables, connections, fuses and the dont forget the fuse box on the positive side of the battery, could be a loose connection.

if you can get it cranked the trick to test battery vs alternator is to have the car running preferably with a fully warmed up engine, then disconnect the battery. if the car turns off, you have an alternator problem, if not, then you most likely have a battery issue.

no ticking usually means the battery is dead as a doornail.

the brakes freezing im guessing is the brakes locking because you don't have ABS anymore

Last edited by robotapartments; 01-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.
2000 Xterra
#3 Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
robotapartments

2000 Xterra
robotapartments is on a distinguished road
you can go to autozone or your store of preference and they should be able to check for any codes if you ask them to check it out

all they have to do is plug a little doodad into the car and check

***MOD move to Won't Start Forum***
2000 Xterra
#4 Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
mttor03
Noob

03 Xterra
mttor03 is on a distinguished road
mine did this after 2 batteries from repair shops found the ignition relay under dash bad
03 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.