Aluminum radiator vs Plastic??? HELP!!! - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Alex Montayre

2000 Xterra
Alex Montayre is on a distinguished road
Aluminum radiator vs Plastic??? HELP!!!

Im in need of ordering a new radiator because my plastic one is cracked up top and I wanna know the pros vs cons of having an aluminum radiator??? anyone with experience or if you have one please respond lol. i know its more expensive but i believe its worth the price. btw i have a 2000 xterra.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
No experience with the all metal ones but certainly they will be less prone to cracking the tanks then a plastic tank model. If you have to replace the radiator I suggest installing one from a 2002 S/C model as it has a thicker core and will increase the cooling capacity/efficiency of the system.

2000 radiator on the left and the 2002 S/C radiator on the right. It is a direct swap no fabrication needed to get it to fit.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
Only downside I'm aware of for aluminum (or "ah-loo-min-ee-um" if you're not from around here...) is expense...

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#4 Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
k-man
pics or it didnt happen

2001 1stG Xterra
k-man is on a distinguished road
CSF makes an all metal one, but there copper and have a tendency to crack near the lower mounts. I went thru 2 before going back to the plastic cap style. And definitely go with the 2 core SC model.

"This aint gonna be no cake walk in the tea park"
([ ][--o--][ ])
2001 1stG Xterra
#5 Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
I am a firm believer in all metal radiators.
When I was a hard core off roader, there were several times I need to piece together a damaged radiator.
You can't do much with a plastic thing in a hundred pieces! On the other hand a small torch, solder and flux can get you home, when confronted with such damage.

I know others will tell you they never had a radiator issue and they are fine with plastic radiator tanks, but I am not one of them!
I have owned two first gens and each time, they got new all metals in them! (before the the problems cropped up)
When I go offroad (and I am no longer hard core) I carry an offroad tool kit that includes torch, solder and flux.
There are many things you should pack with you on an offroad outing.
be safe, not stupid when going into the bush. A failed offroader rig , could find themselves in a life or death situation. I have tried to always go with another rig, but even that can not prepare you for survival, if you need it.
There are posts here on offroad kits. A good supply of drinking water is very important!

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.