Capabilities - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Gmo48

08 Xterra
Gmo48 is on a distinguished road
Capabilities

I got an 02 x and was wondering what the off road specs are. I can't find them anywhere. I wanted to know before I take out on the trails so I don't chew of more then it can handle. And the main one is how deep in water can I go.

My x is stock saving money to start fixing up
08 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Specs? I don't really understand what specs you are looking for?

As to how deep the water can be look next to your right foot under the center console/dash and you will see the ECU. The ECU goes under water you're going to have problems. The air intake for the engine is basically at the same level as the headlights.

Look around in the trip reports forum and it will give you an idea of what an Xterra is capable of.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#3 Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Gmo48

08 Xterra
I meant more like the off road capability of the car like approach angle and departure how deep in water can I go ground clearance that general idea
08 Xterra
#4 Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
RacerXXL
Administrator

2000 XE V6 Xterra
RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all RacerXXL is a name known to all
Garage
Depends on the spotter and the driver. We have taken stock 1st and 2nd Gens up this trail in Coal Creek.

As far as I know the specs you are looking for do not exist in any Nissan publication, at least not in one I've seen.

What area are you in? Best bet is to look for some fellow Xterra owners to go out and wheel with a couple times. That way you have good spotters and it allows you to see modified trucks and what they do better than your truck. That will give you a good idea on what mods are best for you.

-Kelly- Build Thread

Then he showed those men of will what will really was. - Verbal Kint
2000 XE V6 Xterra
#5 Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM
cbxterra
Veteran

2000 Xterra
cbxterra is on a distinguished road
ground clearance is easy. crawl underneath with a tape measure. there's a thread here somewhere someone else wondering about roll over angle. water my guess is as high as the doors you're safe. only problem is when you start into a water hole it's too late to bring out the tape to find how deep it is .
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
caseycamby
Phreak

2001 Xterra
caseycamby will become famous soon enough
From Car And Driver...

I'm pretty sure this with a second gen but they said the approach angle is 33.2 and the departure is 29.4 degrees.

I would say the first gen, like yours, would be a little different.. BUT, as to how much.. I really have no clue. I guess this info will give you a pretty good idea. Hope it helps!

2001 Xterra 4x4

Lift/Tires - 3" AC AAL SL, Revolver Shackles, 2" AC BL, 33x12.5 Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler wheels

Exterior - RLC Fab bumper, custom Baja light bar, Rage roof rack, White Knuckle rock sliders, Skid Row skids, Warn hubs, Cherry Bomb Extreme dual exhaust

Interior - Pioneer DEH-3200UB deck, Sony Xplod door speakers, 2 12" Kicker Comps in Kicker box, 350W Bolt amp, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, LED dome light conversion

"My Official Build Thread"
2001 Xterra
#7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM
ryandavenport
Professional

2007 Xterra
ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough
Stats really don't matter once you get on the trail. Numbers won't do much for you when you don't know what to do with them. Water is difficult to judge a depth on, so try to avoid it. If you can't avoid it, test it with a stick to find the depth and check the bottom. If the bottom is solid, you are safer to go deeper. Also, look at the surrounding terrain. Is there a waterline on trees around it? How steep are the banks? You can bet they keep the same angle underwater.

How tall is the rock? Put a tire over it instead of straddling it. When you come off the rock steer away from it so as not to hit the side of the truck on it. You really shouldn't be doing stuff that difficult without protection though. My armor has already paid for itself multiple times over on the trails. Sometimes there is no way around coming down on skid plates and sliders. The crash sounds better than the crunch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 Xterra S 4x4

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension
285-75 R16 BFG AT-KO, Pro-4X Wheels, 2" OME Lift

Armor
NXRocks Skids, TAG Rear Bumper, White-Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders

Exterior
Xoskel Bumper Mount Bracket, Blacked out Emblems, Weathertech Vent Visors, FOURTREKS Hi-Lift Mount, Wilson1000 CB Antenna

Interior
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Midland CB, Compass Mirror, Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats, Nissan Carpeted Cargo Mat
2007 Xterra
#8 Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
caseycamby
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandavenport View Post
Stats really don't matter once you get on the trail. Numbers won't do much for you when you don't know what to do with them. Water is difficult to judge a depth on, so try to avoid it. If you can't avoid it, test it with a stick to find the depth and check the bottom. If the bottom is solid, you are safer to go deeper. Also, look at the surrounding terrain. Is there a waterline on trees around it? How steep are the banks? You can bet they keep the same angle underwater.

How tall is the rock? Put a tire over it instead of straddling it. When you come off the rock steer away from it so as not to hit the side of the truck on it. You really shouldn't be doing stuff that difficult without protection though. My armor has already paid for itself multiple times over on the trails. Sometimes there is no way around coming down on skid plates and sliders. The crash sounds better than the crunch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
All very true. Well done, sir.

2001 Xterra 4x4

Lift/Tires - 3" AC AAL SL, Revolver Shackles, 2" AC BL, 33x12.5 Duratracs, 15x8 Pro Comp 52 Rock Crawler wheels

Exterior - RLC Fab bumper, custom Baja light bar, Rage roof rack, White Knuckle rock sliders, Skid Row skids, Warn hubs, Cherry Bomb Extreme dual exhaust

Interior - Pioneer DEH-3200UB deck, Sony Xplod door speakers, 2 12" Kicker Comps in Kicker box, 350W Bolt amp, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, LED dome light conversion

2001 Xterra
#9 Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Gmo48

08 Xterra
Thanks guys I will take all ur guys advice and go little by little and find my self s good spotter n avoid water at all cost unless I have to go through it thanks for the tips guys.

Probably going to buy skid plates first I like my car in one piece not multiple rather spend a couple hundred versus couple thousand on a fix that could of been avoided
08 Xterra
#10 Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 PM
caseycamby
Phreak

2001 Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmo48 View Post
Thanks guys I will take all ur guys advice and go little by little and find my self s good spotter n avoid water at all cost unless I have to go through it thanks for the tips guys.

Probably going to buy skid plates first I like my car in one piece not multiple rather spend a couple hundred versus couple thousand on a fix that could of been avoided
Sounds like a plan, Stan! Good luck with it!

2001 Xterra 4x4

2001 Xterra

Tags
capabilities , off road

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.