post #11 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM
pilotboy17
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2008 Xterra
pilotboy17 is on a distinguished road
I got this in the mail a few days ago as well and taking my Xterra to the shop to get the tranny fluid checked. My wife and I purchased our used 2008 Xterra S in late 2010, and a month later, we had some acceleration issues past 60 mph when driving onto the interstate. It did feel like something was slipping at the higher speeds.

Dealership checked it out and found really dark BLACK transmission fluid - stuff that is clearly not meant to be in the transmission but couldn't figure what it was. Thankfully, they reimbursed me for the transmission flush.

Fast forward present date, I have reason to believe it was coolant with this case going on. Since the problem was never fixed, it possibly could reoccur.

If I am reading this proposal correctly, it still sucks because we would be responsible for the $2500 initial cost (8 yrs or 80,000-90,000 miles) or $3000 (9 yrs or +90,000 miles) and then Nissan would pitch in after. I hate law jargon so someone correct me if I am wrong. I guess if the amount was exuberant like +$6000 in the previous post, some assistance is better than nothing, but its not our fault Nissan has this issue. It is their fault!
2008 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM
MyGfsX
Noob

2005 Xterra
MyGfsX is on a distinguished road
Yeah man you read it correctly. You have to cover the initial $2500 and they MAY cover the rest. This lawsuit might not happen. They are in discussion and who knows. I've never been so pissed about something like this and the company is denying any responsibility on their part. Get your stuff checked out man and I think I might have seen something where there is a mod for this?? Good luck
2005 Xterra
post #13 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
pilotboy17
Noob

2008 Xterra
pilotboy17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGfsX View Post
Yeah man you read it correctly. You have to cover the initial $2500 and they MAY cover the rest. This lawsuit might not happen. They are in discussion and who knows. I've never been so pissed about something like this and the company is denying any responsibility on their part. Get your stuff checked out man and I think I might have seen something where there is a mod for this?? Good luck
Thanks, man. I did get the transmission fluid checked out by a trusted mechanic that I normally use and it checked out fine. No indication of coolant in it. I guess this is something I need to monitor more frequently. Take care.
2008 Xterra
post #14 of 19 Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Treedguy
Noob

2005 Xterra
Treedguy is on a distinguished road
Pull your trans dipstick out regularly. If it looks like strawberry milkshake the two fluids are mixing.
Replace your radiator and/or do the bypass no matter what. You don't want antifreeze in the trans. That is what is causing these $$$ repairs.
2005 Xterra
post #15 of 19 Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Robert Bills

2005 Xterra
Robert Bills is on a distinguished road
When the fluids mix its too late. Best to bypass the atf cooler in the radiator now. Remove the radiator skidpate, switch two hoses, replace the skidplate and you're done. It costs nothing and only takes a few minutes.

Robert Bills
KG6LMV
Shasta County, California

2005 Xterra Off Road
1946 Bantam T3-C Trailer
2005 Xterra
post #16 of 19 Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 AM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Pilotboy. If you trust your mechanic have him do a radiator bypass mod. If when you flushed the transmission fluid and it has not re-occured yet and everything feels back to normal then have your Mechanic do a radiator bypass mod. Many many people on here and THEnewX.org Have done it. GOogle "Radiator Bypass Mod Xterra".

You can save yourself that 2500 because any auto parts store sells generic external transmission coolers. This will Fix your problem regarding the mixing fluid.

here you go

Check it out.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30289

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877

Last edited by ShiftingSkys; 03-05-2013 at 03:23 AM.
2002 Xterra
post #17 of 19 Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Treedguy
Noob

2005 Xterra
Treedguy is on a distinguished road
I took my 2005 xterra with 65k on it to the dealer last week.
It had the Pink Milkshake Of Death on the trans dipstick.
No slipping, chugging or noise yet.

Nissan is giving me a FREE transmission. FREE radiator.

They are also doing the fuel sending unit. FREE. (It crapped out, no fuel gauge reading)

Oh, FREE 2013 Rogue loaner for a week.
2005 Xterra
post #18 of 19 Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM
puchodog1977

2007 s Xterra
puchodog1977 is on a distinguished road
i bought my x from pence nissan. engine, tranny, oil changes, inpections for life.. bring on the SMOD.
2007 s Xterra
post #19 of 19 Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
2005XterraV6

2005 Xterra
2005XterraV6 is on a distinguished road
I did receive a letter, filled it out and send it in. I have a 2005 X. I haven't had any problems but the dealership changed out my old radiator about a year ago telling me the issue with SMOD. So I went ahead and replaced my radiator which at the time nothing was wrong with it. Nevertheless, I still submitted the lawsuit form and pretty much told them that I only changed it at the advice of the dealership. I hope to get that money back.
2005 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.