Getting hot at speed - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
L_Morton
Noob

2004 Xterra
L_Morton is on a distinguished road
Getting hot at speed

My 04 xterra recently blew a heater hose and overheated. Replaced hose refilled coolant and bled system several times. It still would get hot so I replaced thermostat and then fan clutch. Now gets hot only after 30 to 40 minutes of highway driving at speed. I will pull off hwy and kill motor for only 10 or 15 minutes and it will return to normal temp. I decided to replace the water pump but then I notice the heater isnt working very well. Could this be the problem? Clogged heater core hindering circulation? Anybody? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
Sounds like you still have air in the system. its possible that your heater core is holding a lot of air since your heat inst working. I would suggest using the bleeder valve on the top of the intake plenum for bleeding, also make sure your reservoir has some fluid in it to help fill the system a bit as your driving. also squeeze your radiator hoses while the truck in running if your not doing that. that will help pull force some of that air out.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#3 Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
Check your radiator on the outside for dirt/garbage/bugs for clogs. The heater should not effect the cooling of the engine. The waterpump may be shot. The radiator cap should be replaced, as it can cause your symptoms too!

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#4 Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
robcarync
Phreak

2004 Xterra
robcarync has a spectacular aura about them robcarync has a spectacular aura about them
Garage
I always get hotter the faster I go...

OH...you meant your truck....nevermind

2004 Xterra 4X4

32" Cooper Discoverer ATP | Lokked and Dropped Front Diff |2.125" Lift Shackles | 3" UCA's | 3" Bils | 2" BL | TC IAB | Bandit 4x4 Idler Arm Bushings | Custom Bumpers | Shrock Sliders | RSB Delete | Snorkel | Cobra 19 DX III CB | 4' Firefly

Building my X

How To: < Remove Rear Sway Bar > < PML > < Re-Index Torsion Bars > < Lokk and Drop >
2004 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.