Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Aftermarket exhaust- Possible loss of power?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Revu 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Xterra 4x4 auto with the 3.3L v6. I'm considering putting straight pipes (duals) from the cats back, no mufflers. I called my local shop to get a quote, and the guy told me that nissan and Toyota owners often complain from a loss of low end power and acceleration after exhaust is installed. Anyone have any experience with this? Please help.

#3 ·
In general, he's wrong- improving the exhaust setup doesn't result in a power loss. Plenty of us run aftermarket mufflers, cat-backs and/or headers. But, I could see running no muffler and too big a diameter of pipe making you lose some power. You need to have the right amount/enough back pressure.

#5 ·
Update: talked to a different shop today, he recommended a single
Pipe, basically just a muffler switch to some sort of glass pack.. Anyone know if that'll cause a raspy rice cooker sound or make it deeper? If I get the rice cooker sound ill cut the new muffler out myself and put the stock back on.. Any thoughts?

#6 ·
Not sure hes dead wrong, no muffler is going to eliminate a lot of your back pressure. You need some for your engine. As a reference a while back in my civic days we had 3 of us with the same intake, header but i had stock exhaust and the other 2 had aftermarket. Mine pulled +1 and -1 horsepower of the 2.

As far as what will work on the X, most of those shops are probably too unskilled to take the time and design needed to make an exhaust that will gain performance.

#8 ·
Im running a glass pack. Doesnt sound ricey to me. And people that ride with me, that are car guys, ask me what exhaust i have cause it sounds really good. It give it a little deeper sound. Hard to explain but it sounds really nice. theyre pretty cheap and easy to install yourself. Although mine isnt welded its just clamped on with some exhaust clamps. After about 5-6 years i heard your supposed to get a new glass pack as they like wear out or something. ill probably be doing this shortly.

#9 ·
Oh and one more thing, if you want more of the straight pipe sound in between the glass pack sound, theres ways you can mod it. Ive heard of driving your car around for 20 or so minutes and as soon as you get back run a cold water from a hose up the exhaust. This will crack the fiberglass on the inside and make it louder. This just sounded to ricey for my taste. haha

#10 ·
Do you drive much on the freeway or highway? You do realize that your exhaust will drone/resonate pretty loudly if you go this route? Just my 2 cents. I have the Nismo catback and eventually swapped the muffler out with a quieter one. Do what makes you happy tho!

#12 ·
I'm live close to school and work, so I don't drive long distances typically. I went to the shop Saturday and got a thrush glasspack installed. Not too too loud, and sounds deeper than stock. It's improved my performance noticeably, and from what I'm seeing its helping gas mileage too. Thanks for the help guys!

#14 ·
It is true that a huge diameter pipe can actually lower power instead of increase it... but that's because they're only doing half the work of what needs to be done when changing out an exhaust system.

Upgrading to a free breathing exhaust (basically a larger intake, MAF, manifold, cat, pipes, and muffler) will make very little difference either for better or worse until the ECU has been calibrated for the difference. It can lower HP because the engine is no longer operating in a manner that the ECU is anticipating.

If you're going for more aggressive sound then you can basically go with whatever exhaust setup you like the sound of best, but if you're going for extra power and fuel economy you'll want to be sure and have the engine professionally tuned after having the exhaust/intake swapped out.

Good luck! :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.