gas saver - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM
kms1990
Addict

2000 Xterra
kms1990 is on a distinguished road
i average 15-16.5 ish in my 00 x with 155,000 miles on it i can get over 20 on highway if i can relax and deal with everyone flying by me cause im doing 55-60mph usually i cruise at 65 but i only get about 17-18 hwy doing that but i had many speeding tickets with the little cars i had but the x has put an end to that meandering up to speed and feeling comfortable at 55 instead of 70 has helped with road rage too i have a drop in k and n and do all my maintenance that is the biggest helper on the mpg side doing the up keep and using quality fluids and lubricants. i also noticed a bit better mpg after removing the black plastic wind deflector that said nissan from the roof rack (do to it making a ton of wind noise on freeway)

MY BRIGHT AZZ LIGHTS!

MY STEREO BEATS EM ALL!
My Laundry List
LIFT()
MUD TIRES()
DROP IN K&N FILTER(X)
UPGRADE STEREO(X)
RESTORE BUMPERS(X)
HID AND PIAA FOGS(X)
FIX UP HEADLINER()
WINCH()
MUFFLER UPGRADE()
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
testdummy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
testdummy is on a distinguished road
I got about 8mpg with my X. I have a small lift and tires/rims but cant figure out the reason. Ive tried the air intake mod and other small tips from the fellow members. Ill most likely get the engined checked out when I get home. Its not worth having it anymore and I haven't driven it in 2 years since Ive been stationed overseas. Definitely buying a small gas saver when I get back.

02 Supercharged 4x4 Xterra/2in BL/Calmini Shackles (PML)/KS mod/BFG AT KO's/Black Rock rims
Audio

Build
2002 Xterra
#13 Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 AM
briants

2000 Xterra
briants is on a distinguished road
I am actually quite pleased with my xterra's MPG. It is an 2000 model with a manual transmission, completely stock except with 31" all terrain tires and k&n air filter. Using a scanguage and some light hypermiling techniques, I have been able to average 22 mpg to and from work consistently. My commute is hilly and a mix of city / hwy traffic. On a level road going 50-55mph, I have been able to squeeze out 25 mpg. The best I could do in my old F-150 was about 16mpg. I have found that my biggest enemy is speed. This thing winds up to almost 3k rpms at 75mph. Not to mention the poor aerodynamic drag, which increases exponentially with speed.

I think the main advantage is the manual transmission. It provides alot more control of your revs and throttle position. It's really too bad they don't make manuals anymore... if they did I may have to buy a new one. Are you listening, nissan?

Last edited by briants; 04-06-2013 at 10:11 AM.
2000 Xterra
#14 Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
mac11 will become famous soon enough
buy a TDi

*Note: All posts I make on this site are fictional for entertainment purposes only. They are not legal advice, actual events, equipment owned or actual locations. If it bothers you, quit being so fragile.
2002 Xterra
#15 Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
briants

2000 Xterra
briants is on a distinguished road
With my Scanguage fully calibrated, and with a very light foot, I got 25mpg on the way home from work today! 3 miles city, 6 miles interstate, 3 miles hilly backroads. I am very happy with this!
2000 Xterra
#16 Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
mac11
Phreak

2002 Xterra
mac11 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by briants View Post
With my Scanguage fully calibrated, and with a very light foot, I got 25mpg on the way home from work today! 3 miles city, 6 miles interstate, 3 miles hilly backroads. I am very happy with this!
thats a pretty small sample size.

*Note: All posts I make on this site are fictional for entertainment purposes only. They are not legal advice, actual events, equipment owned or actual locations. If it bothers you, quit being so fragile.
2002 Xterra
#17 Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Mogman
Phreak

2011 Pro4X Xterra
Mogman is a jewel in the rough Mogman is a jewel in the rough Mogman is a jewel in the rough
Garage
I've said this before but I think it's worth repeating:

Installing fancy top brand oils, plugs, intake kits, and other whiz bang gagetry will not significantly effect your mileage. It may not hurt your X, but depending on how crazy you get, it will hurt your wallet.

Economy and performance are typically opposite ends of the spectrum. Your X was already designed by engineers trying to maximize efficiency while still maintaining enough real world performance to make the X useful as a small SUV. Installing an aftermarket intake system or filter will have no appreciable effect at anything below full throttle, and the on board computer will adjust everything accordingly to maintain the proper fuel air ratio. More air in = more fuel in. Intake restrictions are really only an issue when it comes to maximizing horsepower, not economy.

There is only one thing in the intake system that you can change that will have any noticeable effect, and that is the position of the throttle plate. Control your foot, and your mileage will be better. It's easy and free. I can easily get low to mid 20 mpg on the highway by keeping it around 60 - 65 mph.

Any real man knows the only manly trucks are the ones that require more maintenance than their woman.
Mog build: http://picasaweb.google.com/gaggenauster/Unimog#
2011 Pro4X Xterra
#18 Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
michaelnel
Seasoned

2003 Xterra
michaelnel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogman View Post
There is only one thing in the intake system that you can change that will have any noticeable effect, and that is the position of the throttle plate. Control your foot, and your mileage will be better.
Now THAT I believe!
2003 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.