Just bought 2000 X SE with Problems - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM
ShadyRedX

2000 Xterra
ShadyRedX is on a distinguished road
Angry Just bought 2000 X SE with Problems

So I signed and bought a 2000 Xterra for 5K on 12/28/12 that's right less than a month ago. The muffler was bad and replaced by the dealer. A week later I started to hear the Fan Clutch work way to hard so I took it in to my mechanic to be looked at. He replaced the Fan Clutch, Water Pump, timing belt and gears. While he had it taken apart he looked everything over real good... "so he says" and Says we got a good deal. I have had it out for two days and now I think the Transmission is getting suck between gears! I have kept the Dealership that I bought it from informed with everything I have done to the X so far. I cant wait for tomorrow when he opens I will be on the phone calling him telling about the transmission problems. I don't know weather to take it to the mechanic or the dealer first.

What is a girl to do??
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Itsme
Phreak

2000 4x4 Xterra
Itsme will become famous soon enough Itsme will become famous soon enough
Take it back to the dealer first. They should have checked that out, before they put it on the lot for sale! Repairs should be on their dime!

Itsme
2000 X SE

V6 SE 4X4 5spd Build and 00 Silver auto SE 4X4http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26084

Raise TBs (X), paint plastics (X), Replace radiator with one that is bigger and will last (X), install roof lights (X), IAB (X), better tires (X), shackles in rear(X), remove rear sway bar (X), Bilsteins (X)
2000 4x4 Xterra
#3 Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 AM
SamsXE
Veteran

2004 Xterra
SamsXE is on a distinguished road
Focus on explaining the symptoms of the problem rather than what your conclusion is. What is happening that would indicate the transmission is getting "stuck between gears"?

Get a quote from your mechanic to fix the problems and then take that to the dealer. Unfortunately unless there is some provision in the sale papers that the dealer will cover anything under a warranty, all problems you have after you sign the docs are your problem.
2004 Xterra
#4 Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
dmski
Seasoned

2000 Xterra
dmski is on a distinguished road
Not sure where you are located, but if its cold out and has manual transmission it can be harder to get it into gear and feel like its "sticky"

2000 Xterra XE 5-spd

Build Thread: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51338
  • [X] Light Bar with 4 Hella Lights
  • [X] 2 Rear Flood Lights
  • [X] CB/Firestick Install
  • [ ] Relocate Rear Axle Breather
  • [ ] Lobo Rack
  • [X] Seafoam
  • [X] Mudflap/sidesteps delete
  • [X] Window Vinyl
  • [X] Front Tow Hook Replace
  • [X] Tow Hitch Install
  • [ ] Rock Sliders
  • [ ] PML
  • [X] Front Winch Bumper/Plate
  • [X] Full 120xxx Mile Service
  • [X] Rear Cargo Organizer
2000 Xterra
#5 Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
drbandkgb
nXm3 Sept 2013

2000 Xterra
drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold drbandkgb is a splendid one to behold
I think id take that one back and ask for some cash back...
2000 Xterra
#6 Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
ShadyRedX

2000 Xterra
I am taking it back today for repairs.. making him take it to a transmission shop, he will tell me where its going, and give me a loaner car while mine is gone, I will stop by this evening and talk to the mechanic that's working on my x about the work being done. Finally I will get a warranty on the work being done,up to 90 days where there was only 30 days before they have now had to take the transmission out and either A) Over haul it or B) replace it. so in either case I will need a new warranty on the car to make sure the work was done right and I wont be putting another 1200 in it in 2 months down the road cause he didn't do the job right or didn't do it at all just did a temp fix.
Right now it doesn't like to change gears its jumps hard into gear and grinds some too. it wont be long and my X wont be drive able. When I checked the transmission Fluid Dip stick there was metal flecks all in it. you didn't see it on the stick but when you wiped it off there were some on the towel, only 5 or 6 but thats enough to show there is damage right?

Last edited by ShadyRedX; 01-17-2013 at 07:40 AM.
2000 Xterra
#7 Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Gsimpson2G
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Gsimpson2G is on a distinguished road
Wonder if they did a flush on it before they sold it, how new does the fluid look?
2002 Xterra
#8 Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM
ShadyRedX

2000 Xterra
We checked all the fluids they all looked fresh transmission fluid was amber in color with no obvious odors.
They are going to replace the transmission after changing the filter and cleaning out the pan. I told him if there was already grinding that caused damage to it to replace it. The dealer is saying this is the first time in years that someone has come back with motor/trans issues he already has a line on a few transmissions. Will honor a warranty on them. I'm just happy they are trying to swindle me, or it goes seem that way.
2000 Xterra
#9 Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
ShadyRedX

2000 Xterra
Right now the trans fluid is darker and I did get metal flecks out of iron the dip stick.
2000 Xterra
#10 Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
What s shame the dealer ripped you off. I would not keep it. I would Stir up trouble until they fix it or take it back and go find another X. I bought one off CL for 1500 and it has yet to have any problems besides the problems I bough it for. bad hoses/Overheating. Heck and that was bought for 1500 o.o

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.