Suggestions for a New Gun?! - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Drake
Club Xterra O.G.

2004 Xterra
Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold Drake is a splendid one to behold
To actually add helpful insight to my Springfield haters retort,

If I were to buy another 9mm and size/concealment wasn't an issue, Sig Sauer P226 hands down, without hesitation, remorse, regret, or second thought. I've shot many handguns, including Glock (which suck ) and S&W, but I have yet to shoot a 9mm that is as comfortable, accurate, and as smooth operating as the P226. The only problem I had with the P226 was my friend trying to take it away from me... it was his gun. lol

I had a Glock and thought I liked it but eventually sold it. I thought my horrific accuracy with it was just me being a bad shot (which I didn't think I was) but I went and tested the XD above and right out of the box, shot a 4" group at 25'. SOLD. The action is much, MUCH smoother than the Glock and even a Glock lover said the same when he shot it. A nice light trigger (about 4.5 lbs on mine) and it just has a natural fit to my hands. The Glock never felt that way for me.

Glock is an outstanding firearm. No doubts about that. But after doing research (when I was baffled as to how I was so much better with the XD compared to my old Glock when they essentially were the same platform), I found that Glocks have a different grip angle than the XD. For example, if I was to draw, point, shoot (as in a defense situation where you aren't able to ADS) with my XD, there is a very good chance I am going to be center mass... VERY good chance. With the Glock, because of it's grip angle, my natural "point" was at least 6" high. I found this to also be a problem for me with S&W and Beretta.

Pistols can be a lot like shoes. What fits someone perfectly, will not work for the next person. Overall hand size, finger length, palm size, etc. all play a big factor in how well you perform with any pistol. If you are buying a pistol that "looks cool" or because "my buddy has one", you are buying for the wrong reason. I will take an ugly brick of a gun that I can consistently hit center mass with over an elegant work of art I would be better off throwing at someone any day.

Save the beautiful gun purchase for a 1911. For defense, buy what works. Gun quality has come a long way recently so there are only a few options to be leary of. Buy what works best for you. Find a range/gun shop that rents pistols and try some out and see what fits for you. It is how I found my XD which I never would have considered in any way before I shot one.

2004 Silver Ice SE S/C (leather package)
Drake's Build Thread

2004 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Tarditi
Veteran

2006 Xterra
Tarditi is on a distinguished road
If you can find them (everything is rare these days!) the Sig P225 or P6 (German LEO) is an outstanding carry firearm. Single stack 8 round - make sure to get factory magazines, not aftermarket mags.

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/sig-sauer_p225.htm

Dustin Tarditi
Raleigh, NC
2006 Granite S
2006 Xterra
#13 Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
irishprodigy
Seasoned

2004 Xterra
irishprodigy is on a distinguished road
I'm either going to get a Springfield XD .40 or a 1911. I love those two guns. I think you should get whatever you are comfortable with, both in round size and design. M&P's are boss, as are a Glock. I dont plan on showing mine off (too much :-D), but want to instill the fear of god when I have to show it off. And thats why I sleep in arms reach of a Mossberg 12ga pump!

I'm Adam!

04 XTerra - The WARSHIP!
Build Thread

Mods:
[X] PML
[X] 2" BL
[X] 285/75x16 BFG AT KO
[ ] Bedline bedline bedline!!!
[ ] Custom front winch bumper
[ ] Rear tire swing bumper
[ ] Sliders
[ ] Snorkel
[ ] SAS with rear SUA
[X] Get dirty!

Last edited by irishprodigy; 01-16-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
2004 Xterra
#14 Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
NoWhining
Veteran

2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
I wish I'd never got rid of my Casull 454, but it was an expensive to feed cannon for an extra week of hunting. Love my S&W 39-2 for a 9mm. I may get something else soon too before the knee jerk idiots punish the law abiding for the insane's actions.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra
#15 Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
don-ready

2011 Xterra
don-ready is on a distinguished road
i gotta agree. the XD is better than the glock. i personally prefer the M&P over the XD because that back strap safety hurts my hand after about 25 rounds. but that's the only reason i put M&P over it. either are great guns. its all about what feels good in your hands.
2011 Xterra
#16 Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
Anyone have An opinion on a kahr pw9? They came highly recommended to me
2004 Xterra
#17 Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
ryandavenport
Professional

2007 Xterra
ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough
Luke, I am guessing that you mean PM9 or CW9, the CW being the concealed weapon version. I have heard good things about Kahrs, but I have never shot one. I personally like Glocks and Berettas myself. I don't care for anything in the Springfield line at all so far. The Kahr is an expensive gun, but it could be a good choice for carrying as it is fairly small. The best thing that you could do is get out and shoot it. You may end up hating it. I thought that I wanted a Ruger LC9 until I shot one, then I decided that it wasn't for me at all.

2007 Xterra S 4x4

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension
285-75 R16 BFG AT-KO, Pro-4X Wheels, 2" OME Lift

Armor
NXRocks Skids, TAG Rear Bumper, White-Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders

Exterior
Xoskel Bumper Mount Bracket, Blacked out Emblems, Weathertech Vent Visors, FOURTREKS Hi-Lift Mount, Wilson1000 CB Antenna

Interior
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Midland CB, Compass Mirror, Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats, Nissan Carpeted Cargo Mat
2007 Xterra
#18 Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Xterror04
Phreak

2004 Xterra
Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough Xterror04 is a jewel in the rough
Yeah I meant a cw9 I was finding them around $400

Last edited by Xterror04; 01-17-2013 at 07:42 AM.
2004 Xterra
#19 Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
ryandavenport
Professional

2007 Xterra
ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough ryandavenport is a jewel in the rough
I've never shot any of them. $400 isn't bad. See if you can shoot it and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 Xterra S 4x4

Wheels, Tires, and Suspension
285-75 R16 BFG AT-KO, Pro-4X Wheels, 2" OME Lift

Armor
NXRocks Skids, TAG Rear Bumper, White-Knuckle Off-Road Rock Sliders

Exterior
Xoskel Bumper Mount Bracket, Blacked out Emblems, Weathertech Vent Visors, FOURTREKS Hi-Lift Mount, Wilson1000 CB Antenna

Interior
Pioneer AVHP3200DVD, Midland CB, Compass Mirror, Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats, Nissan Carpeted Cargo Mat
2007 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.