Squirrels chewed up wiring - Nissan Xterra Forum

#1 Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
bsaggie
Noob

2001 Xterra
bsaggie is on a distinguished road
Squirrels chewed up wiring

While we were away at Christmas a squirrel made a nest in my wife's 2001 Xterra's engine compartment and really did number on the wiring. It chewed through all 6 sparkplug wires, the wiring harness and connector to the cruise control motor, an injector's wiring and several other wires that I haven't tracked down yet.

Any ideas on how to procede with this? I've spliced wires before, but I'm a little overwhelmed at the amount of splicing that I'll have to do as well as how to deal with connectors that don't have any wire left to splice onto. Any ballpark estimates on how much this would cost to have fixed? Is this type of damage covered by insurance?

Thanks for any input.

This is the damage to the 3 of spark plug wires, the injector wires and another connector/harness in the upper left of the picture.

A closer shot of the damage to the connector/harness shown in the upper left of the previous image

damage to the cruise control motor wiring connector and nearby wiring harness

Severed wiring harness near the cruise control motor

Damage to wiring harness near cruise control motor where it goes through firewall

A single severed wire right at connector.
2001 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
NoWhining
Veteran

2003 Xterra
NoWhining is on a distinguished road
Check with your insurance company, might be covered if you have a comprehensive section of your policy. You'd of course have to pay whatever deductible.

On another note, I recommend 22LR for squirrel containment.

Good luck.

When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Ski There Too!!
2003 Xterra
#3 Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Coproscefalo

2003 Xterra
Coproscefalo is on a distinguished road
Damn, that's a lot of wire damage, might as well consider replacing the harness, check your local junkyard for xterras or fleabay, heres a link i've found.

Good luck

Atomic Edition
[X] Resonator Delete
[X] KS Resistor Mod
[X] Rockford Fosgate Aux Input
2003 Xterra
#4 Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM
intender
Phreak

2000 SE Xterra
intender will become famous soon enough
Garage
That is going to be a pain to replace all those harnesses. That one going through the firewall being the worst I would imagine. If your insurance will cover it I would have someone do the work. I dont mind doing electrical work (did it for years as a living) but I would still probably avoid it unless the deductible was high or it was going to raise your premiums a tremendous amount. It is going to be really time consuming cutting all those bundles apart and pulling out just the stuff that got chewed up and then putting it all back together and wrapping it back up. I had to replace a couple of harnesses on my jetta due to dry rotting and shorting out the wires for the coil packs and that took me about 2 days to cut everything loose just to get to the 2 harnesses I needed to replace. Nissan stuff should be a lot cheaper than the vw stuff, but I would imagine all that is going to add up.

Apply dirt liberally, rinse and repeat

<<<-click for build
2000 SE Xterra
#5 Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
ShiftingSkys
Phreak

2002 Xterra
ShiftingSkys will become famous soon enough
Wow. I would b amazingly pissed if that had happened to my X. GL with it. I 3 the insurance. Just the headache avoidance is worth it.

2002 Nissan Xterra

Lifted and Ready to Roll!

Build Thread-http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38877
2002 Xterra
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM
bsaggie
Noob

2001 Xterra
bsaggie is on a distinguished road
Update: Well I filed a claim with my insurance, fortunately we had keep our comprehensive coverage so it was covered under the "other than collision" part of the policy. They towed it to the local Nissan dealership for an estimate. The dealership said the Main engine harness, EFI harness and Injector harness need to be replaced to the tune of $3800 ($2100 parts/$1700 labor). Waiting to hear back from insurance if that will total the car. Hope not, but it's going to be close.
2001 Xterra

Tags
harness , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.