Windshield Wipers suddenly not working - Page 2 - Nissan Xterra Forum

#11 Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 AM
scottie7

2000 Xterra
scottie7 is on a distinguished road
Silver Dude,
Thanks for the in depth answer. That sounds like my problem exactly. I am making a long trip soon so i may have to just take it to the dealership due to time restraints, but if i have time i will have to try what you did. Thanks again.
2000 Xterra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 12-15-2008, 06:43 AM
coachhart
Noob

2001 Xterra
coachhart is on a distinguished road
This is exactly what happened. I think that I'll try to tie it together. They will attach and stay w/o any type of tie, but as soon as I start the wipers, then they separate again.
2001 Xterra
#13 Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
theranch
Noob

2000 Xterra
theranch is on a distinguished road
I bought replacement caps for the linkage rods at my local Autozone but they are a little loose in the arm and I can't get it to pop on the junction in the middle of the truck.
And...it's going to rain tomorrow...this thing popped off this weekend in the rain.
2000 Xterra
#14 Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM
BuenasNalgas
Noob

2003 Xterra
BuenasNalgas is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this write up and illustration, my wife's 03 X driver side wiper recently stopped working. I did exactly what you had posted and it worked perfectly.....

Turned out that the 12mm nut just needed to be tightened, it was so loose i could turn with my fingers with no force!

Thanks for this and rep added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Dude View Post
I'd check to see if the metal shafts are spinning under the wiper arms. If so at least then you know the linkage is still attached and all your have to do is tighten the tapers. However not likely since both wipers are not working. My guess is that you will have to remove both wiper arms. Then remove that plastic window shroud (looks like it just snaps in). After you get the shroud out of the way you may have to remove a plastic thingy or two to get a look at the linkage. But, the linkage consists of metal rods with these plastic ball cups that like to pop out of the rods. So pop them back on and your good to go secure with a zip tie if the little lock is broken. If both wipers are still attached to each other (you move one it moves the other) Chances are the linkage popped off at the wiper motor so keep that in mind. It's much easier then it sounds once you see what your working with.

On mine the taper just worked itself loose. Same situation, icy windshield, one wiper came disconnected. Here is how I tightend it.

O-ring pick any hook will work. I'm sure you could even use a allen wrench if you want.

Pull out not up.

Remove nut with a 12mm wrench.

At this point if the linkage is bad remove the plastic cover to get a look.

However, mine just needed to be cleaned and tightened.

Align the wipers straight like they were originally and tighten the nut. Pop the cover back on done..
2003 Xterra
#15 Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
bastardpete
Noob

2000 Xterra
bastardpete is on a distinguished road
Hate to resurrect an old thread on my first post, but here goes:
Had the linkage come apart on my wipers. Went to taking everything apart and the passenger side mount for the wiper was also broken, so I needed to replace the linkage (called a wiper transmission at the junkyards, by the way) .... go get the part, and get back and realize it isn't the same .. not exactly. My old linkage connected to the wiper motor by a notched link that fits over the shaft of the motor. The one the yard gave me has splines to go on the motor. I figure - no problem - i try to replace that one section of the linkage with my old section.. now I realize the little ball joints are also a different size. I cant replace this one segment of my linkage because the two wont fit into each other. Has anyone else taken their linkage off of the motor, and how does it connect, splines or a notch? I've got a 2000 xterra 4wd. I'm trying to figure out if i have some oddball wipers (every picture of this part I can find shows splines) or if I got the wrong part from the yard.
2000 Xterra
#16 Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Teethree
Noob

2000 Xterra
Teethree is on a distinguished road
Nice

Yea this was also my problem earlier today, out of nowhere that shaft from the motor to the first wiper and elbow disconnected, no reason for it just might have gotten loose, popped it back on after reading up and bingo

thanks dudes!

Nissan Xterra 2000 SE
400 Watts -without subs- RMS (6400 with)
Team Elevation Audio

2000 Xterra
#17 Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Mudpuppy
Seasoned

2002 Xterra
Mudpuppy is on a distinguished road
Threads like this are why I love this site. The sleet and freezing rain made one of my wiper arms give up the ghost today. After a good read I will be fixing this in the morning, assuming there is no more "white rain" down here in southern Mississippi. Thanks for the info!
2002 Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Xterra Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.